• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994

The setting:
8:52am Sunday morning. Sun’s out drying the residue of last night’s rain, the first in a week. The tomato plants are glistening as the sun hits them. The bright orange flowers on the squash plants contrast against the green bushy plant. The macbook says it’s 66 degrees in Charlotte, but I’m guessing it’s closer to 75, with just a hint of a breeze. A chorus of birds this morning, including a brilliant red cardinal darting through the trees.

The smoke:
La Aurora 1495 Series, 1994 Cameroon wrapper

Aesthesics:

Corona cigar, 44x5. Single cap that bunches over the edges like a bottle cap. Typical cameroon-brown wrapper, however, not nearly as toothy as I seen on others. Smooth wrap, with a noticeable candy stripe from the color gradations in the wrapper.

Construction:

Cuts nice, no unravel. Draw is good, favors the tight side. nice roll that shows the viens both on top and underneath the first layer of wrap. Not much flavor pre-light. Grassy tobac taste.

Flavor & Strength:

Lights well, burns nice, firm but smokey draw. First couple draws push the limit of sinus tingling to burn. Can definitely taste the Cameroon, but the filler dominates the profile. The marketing literature for this cigar notes a Cameroon wrapper from 1994 surrounds the 1495 binder and filler. I’m already thinking they should have used this wrapper for the preferido blend, but we’ll see how it goes.

First inch in and this is a savory, woody cigar. All woodsy overtones, no sweetness or cocao. The dark coffee with a dash of sugar could be contributing to that as well. Perfect burn 1/3 into this at 9:25. Ash is firm and pointed and so light it is almost white. I definitely pick up the nutty overtones of the cameroon wrapper, immediately subdued by the domincan filler, a younger less subtle tobacco flavor that draws similarities to an Avo grassy/floral filler.

As the female cardinal shoots by, I pause to take aim at a tree rat (aka squirrel) inching its way towards our now overburdened plum tree. Hundreds of ripe, juicy red plums make for too tempting a treat for those varmints, easy pickens for the Daisy pump action.

Wow, ok, half way through this thing opens up. An almond nuttiness dominates the profile, harsh overtones are subdued and it’s drawing like a champ. Can’t let this one get too hot.

A steady stream of golfers now at the 16th hole, winding down their sunday morning rounds. Hawk screams from about 200 yards away. He was hunting in the backyard woods yesterday. Man this is really a nice smoke now. Very subtle leather background to a nutty middle and a lingering pepper finish, Again, a completely savory smoke, no sweetness to it. Still a perfect burn at 9:43. For a cameroon, this is a much stronger profile than the CR Stanford Cameroon, but the wrapper is definitely coming through and is now the dominant flavor.

Sure enough, the Radio Shack wireless thermo-hygro shows 77.7 degrees and 67% RH. A good 2/3rd through and it’s looking like the best might behind me with this smoke. Still very good, but the filler has lost some of it’s smoothness as the remaining leaves have macerated in the smoke from the last hour.

Almost went out as another varmint came by. Ah, spoke too son. A re-light of the outer circle highlights the cameroon flavor of this cigar. This is a solid finish for this cigar. A heavier tobacco flavor leaves a tingle on the lips, a sure sign she is winding down. about an inch and 1/2 left at 10:12, well over an hour into this Dominican corona, and now I am reminded of the familiarity of this cigar. The La Aurora Choix Supreme made for the Manhattan Davidoff shop in Midtown. I would have to say, the current specimen I’m smoking is a superior cigar that does a better job of highlighting the cameroon wrapper.

Less than an inch left and it is history. Last draw burns the back of the throat and it is time to go.

Overall:

Overall the setting and the experience is relaxing and brought out the best this smoke had to offer. I’m not Googling availability on these, but I would definitely enjoy another one. 7.5 on a 10 scale. The filler blend on these could be tweaked or aged for my tastes.

Great review. Your words paint a picture as good as any accompanying photos could. What a great way to start a morning!!! :thumbs:

Excellent review! Clint was correct in painting the picture. I can just see the tree rats scurrying! :D I had a 1495 at the SC Sit Down herf and it was really good! Thanks for the review!

Great review! The flavors I got were a little different. The coffee may have impacted them for you, because I personally taste an unmistakeable sweetness throughout each of these that I smoke.

Thanks for the great review! Now if I can only find one....

Great review! However, I have found the CR Stanford's (Churchill) to be more aggressive on the Cameroon flavor than these little 1495's. I have a few more of each; time for a comparison, for sure. Doesn't Aurora has the same 1495 blend in different wraps? Not sure if it is the same size as your specimen, but that could be an interesting try. Did I say great review? If not, great review!!!

Famous has a deal going for the 1495 in 5 differant wrappers. 10 sticks (2 of ea.) for 49.99
I'm tempted, but have others I want to get first.

I bought a 5r of these off CigarBid and for the most part have enjoyed them. You definitely need to give these pups a little time in the humi before sparking. Thanks for the review!

Very unique review. Sounds like you live in a nice area!!! The cigar sounds appealing also. Excellent work my friend.
Joe

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a really nice relaxing Sunday morning, and a great choice of cigar. Highly recommend this one.

I bought a 5r of these off CigarBid and for the most part have enjoyed them. You definitely need to give these pups a little time in the humi before sparking. Thanks for the review!

Give them a few months rest and you'll have a very nice smoke. I have a nice little stash of these that have been resting for about 5-6 months and they are great!! Just ordered some more. One of my top 2 favorite coronas NC or CC.

I agree with DeVonn, I get a great sweet flavor throughout the entire smoke along with a nice subtle spice and woodsy flavor. These are so good I already smoked my 10pack down to 4 and just bought 20 more off cbid.

The first 1495 had absolutely no flavor. Not sure what the wrapper was, but I do know it was not the Cameroon. :angry:

Last night I decided to give it another try, this time the Cameroon. Upon lighting, I could immediately taste the Cameroon wrapper, which was a relief. But it it faded as the cigar went on. Later it turned to a flavorless cigar.

I am seeing quite a few sales on these cigars. My recommendation is to save your money.

The first 1495 had absolutely no flavor. Not sure what the wrapper was, but I do know it was not the Cameroon. :angry:

Last night I decided to give it another try, this time the Cameroon. Upon lighting, I could immediately taste the Cameroon wrapper, which was a relief. But it it faded as the cigar went on. Later it turned to a flavorless cigar.

I am seeing quite a few sales on these cigars. My recommendation is to save your money.

You are most likely referring to the regular release 1495 Cameroon....this is a 1495 with a Cameroon wrapper leaf that has been aging since 1994 in the La Aurora factory. They are excellent and very much different from the regular 1495s. I enjoy these from the first light till nub.

I've never heard of any 1495 turning flavorless but there's a possiblity you got a few duds.

Where the hell has Jim been? I miss his reviews.

I haven't seen him on in months.....

You are most likely referring to the regular release 1495 Cameroon....this is a 1495 with a Cameroon wrapper leaf that has been aging since 1994 in the La Aurora factory. They are excellent and very much different from the regular 1495s. I enjoy these from the first light till nub.

I've never heard of any 1495 turning flavorless but there's a possiblity you got a few duds.

You are right. The advertising said I bought a 10 pack of 1495, but instead it was only two of the 1495s and the rest were Connoisseur. Even the label look the same. :angry:

One more reason to hate La Aurora for pulling this marketing foolery. What I had was 'La Aurora Connoisseur Cameroon SINGLE Natural 5 X 52'.

:rolleyes: Nimrod, these were a very small amount of Coronas that we made, because the leaf was small, it was the only size that we could make, also it was two bales we found in the ware house that were from 1994, they were sold only to one company never to be made again, we are sorry for what happen, but some times its all the things that are written on the boards, but in my humble opinion its a great little smoke, if you ever come to Santiago please let us know, so you can tour our factory and fields, take care.

Smoked one of these about a week ago. Very nice smoke.

It is a sweet little cigar, I was able to get a few of the 10ct boxes a few months ago and happy I did.