• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora Barrel Aged

SewerRanger

Ring Gauge: 43
Length: 5.75"
Filler: Mixed batch of Dominican Republic and Nicaragua
Binder: Dominican
Wrapper: Dominican

The first thing you notice when you see this cigar is the striking contrast between the dark brown cigar wrapper and the burnt red band. The band – always one of the more interesting aspects of cigars – is a nicely designed burnt red that proudly displays the words “Barrel Aged”, for you see, these cigars are made with only tobacco that has been aged in old Dominican Rum barrels. It’s an unusual aging process for a cigar but I think it works out. The initial smell of the cigar contains hints of leather, spice, and a bit of oak – a lot like an oak barrel smells. The cigar lit up evenly on my first try and produced a good amount of thick cloying smoke. The first handful of puffs had a woody, oakish flavor with little burst of spiciness. It was a decent start with a medium bodied feel and a prominent flavor of sweet molasses and oak. About a 1/3 of the way through a light creamy sweetness began to develop and the spice picked up. The cigar also started its journey towards the fuller bodied side of things. With a nice medium to full bodied feel, the second third of the cigar began to really show the barrel aging processes. A heavy molasses and okay flavor profile showed up with the peppery spice beginning to assert itself. With the final third of the cigar about half way done, the pepper flavor had become dominant with a lingering creamy oak. The cigar finished with a heavy peppery spice that complimented the creamy molasses and oak that started it. Overall this was a cigar that I enjoyed and could see myself smoking again. My only complaint is the sweetness in the beginning was a bit powerful and will definitely make this more of a dessert cigar then anything else.