• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Diferencia Cubana - Toro

Jack Straw

Recently I have been on a Hendrik Kelner cigar kick. One I really liked, the AVO LE 08:

AVO LE 08 review

And another I really did not care for, the Winston Churchill:

Winston Churchill review

This time around I tried another of Mr. Kelner's cigars - La Diferencia Cubana.

DSCF2277.jpg

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
Binder: Dominican Olor
Filler: Cuban-seed Dominican long leaf
Size: Toro - 6x50

My first impression of this cigar was that it was not the most attractive smoke I had ever seen. The wrapper was a medium brown and had several veins running through it. When applying a bit of pressure with my fingers, I immediately noticed that it had a very spongey roll, at first, I thought it was a soft spot, but on further examination, it was uniformly soft, and the wrapper had an overly firm feel to it. I almost put away my notepad and pen, as I was sure this smoke was not going to be worth taking notes.

DSCF2280.jpg

The single cap was, at best, haphazardly applied, and after clipping, the prelight draw was extremely easy with a bit of leather and earth immediately noticeable, and a very nice tobacco sweetness.

First Third

After toasting the foot, the La Diferencia Cubana produced volumes of a very rich medium blue-gray smoke with a very nice nutty, earthy flavor. As loose as this cigar seemed to be rolled, I figured it was going to burn like a fuse and get too hot in a hurry. It started to burn a bit down one side, and again, I attributed this to the looseness of the roll.

DSCF2282.jpg

However, after just a few puffs, the burn corrected itself without any help, and stayed straight for the rest of the smoke. It developed a nicely mottled black and gray ash, which, surprisingly, held firm until I ashed it at about 2 inches. The volume of smoke this cigar produces is amazing, and the rich earthy tobacco taste was very pleasant.

Second Third

The earthy tobacco flavor has stayed very consistent, and an extremely nice nutty flavor has picked up as I get further into this cigar. The wrapper has developed a sweetness that I have come to expect from a true sun grown wrapper. The wrapper itself, I can only describe as leather-like! Due in part, I am sure to the way it was rolled, you can easily clench this smoke between your teeth with a great deal of pressure and not worry about it cracking.

DSCF2285.jpg

The Final Third

The earthiness has almost been completely replaced by a nutty leather taste with just a touch of spice. The sweetness of the wrapper has increased a great deal, and the volume of smoke has increased to the point I am drawing it a bit more gently than I had earlier. Smoke has not become the slightest bit hot, and the burn, while not razor sharp, has not required a single touch up.

After being prepared to dismiss this cigar before even lighting it up, I am sure glad I didn't, as this has been a very good smoke!! While it's not an AVO, and it's darn sure not a Davidoff, it has a very pleasant flavor profile of its own and a great burn.

DSCF2286.jpg

If you are a smoker who occasionally likes to clamp down on the end of your cigar, this is definetly one for you, as the more I clenched it between my teeth, the sweeter it got!

DSCF2287.jpg

In conclusion

The La Diferencia Cubana by Hendrik Kelner is a closeout cigar readily available from The Devil's Site, and other online merchants. I am sure that this was originally supposed to be an $8.00 - $10.00 stick, and for that amount of money, it would be just another overpriced stick, but for the $2.00 or less a stick for which it is currently available, if you like a very tasty on the medium side of mild bodied cigar, I recommend picking up a box or two. The cellophane on the ones I picked up, while not turning brown, have a bit of that aged crinkle to them. A great everyday smoke IMO!

I ended up nubbing this one, and it lasted for just under an hour!

edited for spelling

Nice review Jay! These are a very nice smoke for the $$$'s. (Nice ashtray and lighter BTW :laugh: )