• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

la diligencia de M. y G. HABANA?

RoguePuffer

Greetings guys,

I was searching out local Cigar smokers recently and had someone contact me about a box of unopened cubans they have.
they sent me pleanty of pictures, however Icannot post them.

The top of the box reads: LA DILIGENCIA DE M. y G. HABANA

Side of box reads LA DILIGENCIA BEN ALI 25 the small lettering reads: MOREDA y CA.

One guilded label reads: GARANTIZADOS POR then in script (Bernardo Moreala)

Another wraped side label is guilded and has two children or cherubs no wings anr reads :pREMIO (then the rest is hard to read but has a date after BRUSGAS 1910) the bottom side of this label has two gryphons and reads: SAN MIGUEL No. 85

Embossed in the back of the box is:
Factory No. 8
Coll. Dist. of Fla.

Factory No. * Coll. District
STATE OF FLORIDA
NOTICE: The Manufacturers of the Cigars herein contained have complied with all the requirements of law. every person is cautioned not to use this box for cigars again. or the stamp thereon again, nor remove the contents of this box without destroying said stamp. under penalties provided by law in such cases,

D The Cigars herein contained were manufacturered to retail at more than Fifteen Cts. each and not more than Twents Cts. each and are so tax paid.

Claro

OK so I hope that is enough information because that is all I can make out from the pictures.

so I am assuming that at this point this is just a collectors item? and if so what would the value be? If it is a collectors item, is someone interested? If I cant smoke it I wont buy it, but I wouldent mind helping another collector out.

That sounds.... interesting. I would love to see the pics

Sounds very cool. I'd love to know the condition those cigars are in. Wow...a century old...

Sounds very cool. I'd love to know the condition those cigars are in. Wow...a century old...

The condition is OLD!!! hahahaha the condition is totaly unknown. The box and labels are in PERFECT MINT condition. the gentleman that contacted me bought them at an estate sale or auction, i dont know which. but beyond that there is no way of knowing their condition. I am thinking.... collectors item sealed box... would you realy open them and smoke them?

I'm guessing dried out. You can try to restore them slowly, but I'm not sure about putting OLD dried things in my mouth. :laugh:

newrbe-bay004.jpg

newrbe-bay003.jpg

newrbe-bay002.jpg

e-bayh1025.jpg

Hope this works!

I smoked a Claro Cuban about 16 years ago. It was wonderful!

Ok so I have contacted Nick from http://gothamcigarmuseum.com

Nick said:
"Hi,

Nice box of clears from Tampa circa 1930s, expensive for their time, most cigars were only a nickel, price dropped to two fer a nickel during the depression.
They must have used top class tobacco, filler from cuba, wrapper from sumatra, binder may have been Cuban as well.

Cheers,

Nick"

If someone is seriously interested in this box of cigars I can put you in contact with the seller for a finders fee.... Cigars all I ask is that the person who buys this passes me on some smokeable stogies. Contact me for the price and we will talk.

Seems to match this listing: http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showitem.cgi?catid=13749&itemid=16

If someone is seriously interested in this box of cigars I can put you in contact with the seller for a finders fee.... Cigars all I ask is that the person who buys this passes me on some smokeable stogies. Contact me for the price and we will talk.

:scratches head:

Ok so I have contacted Nick from http://gothamcigarmuseum.com

Nick said:
"Hi,

Nice box of clears from Tampa circa 1930s, expensive for their time, most cigars were only a nickel, price dropped to two fer a nickel during the depression.
They must have used top class tobacco, filler from cuba, wrapper from sumatra, binder may have been Cuban as well.

Cheers,

Nick"

Oh No You Didn't!

Ha! I completely missed the finders fee bullshit when I made my post.

I am down but I will need a s&h fee to cover your finder's fee. Just a few cigars will do (preferably 3+ year old premiums, OBO). If you are interested lmk, I like cigars!

Puff, the brotherly thing to do would be to pass on the info to whoever is interested without a kick back ...

Now you've crossed the line. As generous as the members of this forum have been to you, this is absolute crap. First it was "PoorPuffer" and your "woe is me" line. You figured that out and asked Rod to change your name. I know for a fact you've been bombed, and bombed generously. To ask for a finders fee is bull s#!t, plain and simple.

One of the primary tenants of trading on this forum is simple - we do NOT profit from other members here. If you have an old box and want to point a member towards the buyer, good for you. But, I'm starting to wonder what the heck you're really up to. I can promise you this, your posts will be getting a lot more scrutiny going forward....:whistling: If you're in the buy / sell business, there are other boards that would love to have you but frankly, not this one. Frankly, this whole show is starting to smell, very badly.

You owe the board an apology....at least. Maybe you could round up some of the smokes you've been generously bombed with and send some along to a noobie, or the troops, or something like that...?? Just a thought.....

B.B.S.

Looks like Mark1 won the bidding (HERE) for $35. How much of a finders fee can be warranted on a $35 box of old cigars? (That's rehetorical of course.) Bought at an estate sale or auction? Like online auction? And what's the value? I'd guess oh, about $35. This whole thing reeks to me.

Did anyone contact him and get a price? Out of curiosity, if this is the same box as what is listed on the auction link, what would you have told people who contacted the selling price would be? Were you the "rvnvet" that was bidding against "mark1"?