• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Gloria Cubana Soberano

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
I enjoyed this darker-wrapped cigar while watching the first half of the Tenn./Florida game this afternoon on CBS. It lasted almost 90 minutes and I was able to smoke it down to the end (I believe that is referred to as "nubbing it").

I found this cigar to be very cool-burning, not getting too hot despite making like a chimney and producing much terrific smoke. It is a longer cigar (8") and has an average thickness (52). I removed the band before smoking so I wouldn't expect a stopping point and cloud my tasting results.

The Soberano had a fresh taste to it. This seemed odd to me as young tobacco is usually an avoided thing. I can't say that the tobacco tasted young or even unfinished, but it did leave an almost aromatic feeling. It had a clean taste to it, that what you were smoking was good, aged tobacco with very little influence from the manufactuer. I take this as a good sign (are you listening, Drew Estate farms?). Great tobacco needs no encore, it needs no entourage, it just is and the best rollers and farms will get out of the way and act as a vehicle to deliver it to the people.

:)

The taste was complex enough to keep me interested. It had the kind of smell and flavor you want when you crack open your main humidor. It's that mixed sensation that you get when you look at a plaid shirt and it has a unique but not all that crazy design. You like it, but it can quickly be figured out.

The only con to this cigar that I found was the fact that it was inconsistent. The first third was astounding. The second third was average and the last third was slightly below average. Never in my life have I had such a distinct difference between stages in a cigar. I don't know exactly what causes such a thing to happen, but I do know that it's a bit of a disappointment. ??? This would not prevent from smoking another Soberano, but I would be interested to know if anyone else experienced something similar to this. :lookup:

I would smoke a Soberano again, even at retail, which seems to be roughly $5. Cigar Price has this cigar listed for as low as $3.28 per cigar when you purchase a full box online. :D

IF you can make yourself NOT touch a box for about 3 years, they're fabulous! :)

Agree with Bruddah Horse! Aging definitely adds to the LGC line IMO. Heck... I've got some Miami mades from 1993 that are just incredible! I only wish I had the foresight to have ordered more back then.

Aloha,

Wade

I don’t know if it just me but I haven’t liked a single LGC with the exception of the sires R. The R was only passable at that nothing to write home about. It’s a brand I want to like but I don’t. FT tells me I should keep some in my door until they get some age. I’ll try again in a year or so they could only improve.

<joke mode on>

To modify lines from South Park.

“Man this cigar must have come from Aspen.”
“Why do you say that?”
“Because it taste like a##.”

:D :D :D

I agree with Brother Wade. Just cracked a box of Wavell maduros with two years of age and they are fantastic. But I burned a Wavell at my local shop that they had just gotten in and it was very good. Seems the quality on the LGC has improved over the past year or so.