• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Riqueza No. 2

MartyMcFly

Cigar: La Riqueza No. 2
Size: 5.5X52
Shape: Belicoso Fino

Decided to go out on the patio for an evening smoke but was unsure as to what I wanted to bring out with me. I just picked up a La Riqueza among others yesterday and decided that I really couldn't wait to try it due to the recent buzz surrounding this cigar. So outside I went armed with my laptop and a nice glass of ice water. Now to the cigar smoking!
Picture010.jpg

Initial inspection revealed a slightly toothy wrapper with very few veins, the ones that were present were minimal at best. It had a very nice triple cap and had a slightly sweet scent. Cut and lit up very well with the first few puffs yielding a slightly spicy nuttiness.
Picture012.jpg

The first third retained the nuttiness and gained a toasty undertone. It was very smooth and produced volumes of smoke. I had a few burn issues that were quickly corrected and the ash was bright white and slightly flakey. Towards the end of the first third the cigar seemed to pick up a few notes of earthiness and spice.
Picture016.jpg

The second third retained the bit of spice and nuttiness but still remained very smooth and balanced. Again I was having a couple issues with an uneven burn but it didn't bother me much since I was still so impressed with the amount of smoke it produced. During this third I also picked up a subtle bready taste yet still enough spice to keep things interesting.
Picture020.jpg

The final third seemed to be more of the same and again a few touch-ups were needed. Smoking time was approximately an hour and a half (I seem to smoke pretty slowly) and was pretty relaxing as I spent my time lurking on CP and watching a lone bat eating insects as the evening encroached. My overall impression of the La Riqueza was that it was a good smoke with some depth, but was not very multidimensional. Many of the same characteristics carried out throughout the entirety of the cigar, however I found them to be to my liking. I would definitely smoke one again however it wouldn't be something that I would smoke regularly.

Quick Breakdown:
Appearance/Construction: 93
Taste: 89
Burn: 85
Overall: 89

VERY NICE REVIEW. I've been wanting to try it as well. Just out of curiosity though (don't take this the wrong way) but why do you give 2/3 of the overal score to appearance/construction + burn? And then only 1/3 to taste?
At any rate, great pictures and review!

Thanks for a good review! May I ask, how long you've had the cigar, and your storage environment?

VERY NICE REVIEW. I've been wanting to try it as well. Just out of curiosity though (don't take this the wrong way) but why do you give 2/3 of the overal score to appearance/construction + burn? And then only 1/3 to taste?
At any rate, great pictures and review!

Thanks for a good review! May I ask, how long you've had the cigar, and your storage environment?

Now that I look at that I guess your right about my rating scale...I should probably change that next time. Thanks for pointing that out.

MadMonk I purchased the cigar yesterday and kept it in my cooler at RH 65% until time to smoke.

Very nice review.

MadMonk asked a very pertinent question IMO. Keep in mind that B&M's usually over humidify their cigars. If you have another to compare, place it
in your humidor for at least 1 to 2 weeks and then see if it improves, or not.

Brian

.... My overall impression of the La Riqueza was that it was a good smoke with some depth, but was not very multidimensional. Many of the same characteristics carried out throughout the entirety of the cigar, however I found them to be to my liking. I would definitely smoke one again however it wouldn't be something that I would smoke regularly.

Quick Breakdown:
Appearance/Construction: 93
Taste: 89
Burn: 85
Overall: 89
Interesting comments, and I have to say I too was less than blown away with my first Riqueza. But, the comments on storage and humidity are spot on. I'm giving the rest of the ones I have a rest in a known environment before I revisit them; the jury is still out, as it were.

Good reveiw; thanks for your comments.

Regards - B.B.S.

Smoked my first #2 yesterday. I really enjoy it. I find so far from the three sizes the I have smoked. I like my #4s the best. These came in with very dark oily wrappers and they taste just great. Spicy, semi sweet cocoa to start with and build to a nice floral and pepper that mixed well with spicy flavors at the halfway point. I just stayed Yummmmmy till the nub. My second favorite is the #1s The Lonsdale are great to. Nubbed this one also. I will open up my boxes of the # 2s and 5s later today. I smoked three of each so far and I like what I'm tasting. These are winners imo.

Thanks for the review, and love the pics. Probably, some of the flavors are muted or toned down because of over-humidification.

I've smoked all but one of the 5 different sizes and found this one to be the least interesting. The No. 5 (petit corona) is my favorite so far. It was a little flavor bomb that never got hot or bitter until it was almost burning my lips. I have yet to try the No. 1 but that will change very soon.

Nice review!

Thanks for the great review! I have a No. 1 on deck for my next smoke. A part of me wants it to be only mediocre, because, if it is great, it means there will be another fiver that I'll have to buy! :sign:

I need to stop torturing myself and try one. I usually give in to the hype by now.....I'm a slacker ??? ??? ???

Oh yeah. Thanks for the review. Nice job.

I was with two of CP'S best who said they were not too complex. ???

I smoked the #3 this morning and I'm not jumping up and down. I'll wait another week and have another, always need two smokes IMO, to pass judgment.

I'll sample the #5 soon, I hope I experience the same flavor bomb mentioned above.

Brian