• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Labor Day Weekend

stogieman

" Herf King "
With the price on gas and our up coming wedding in three weeks, I'm stickin' around here in the Orlando/Daytona area for this weekend. Gonna do a bunch of running around today and probably go down to either Corona Cigar Company or Cigarz at Universal City Walk for a night of ceegar smokin' and beer drinkin'. :D

Tommorro is relaxation day with the final Labor Day NASCAR Southern 500 at Darlington SC. :(

Then on Monday, We'll probably spend a day at either Daytona or New Smyrna Beach suckin' up some more beers, sun and smokin' a couple of more ceegars.... :p :thumbs: :D

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I've been brewing beer using extracts for 15 years. Today I'm finally going to take the plunge and make beer from nothing but malted barley, hops, yeast and water...just like the big boys. I've been collecting and building the equipment for the last couple of months and today I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck....I'll be a tired coonass by this evening.

Gotta decide what to smoke during the boil. One advantage of all grain brewing is that the boil takes longer - 90 minutes usually. So I'm thinking a nice Boli Coronas Extra from '97.

you will be so much happier with the product
from malted barly instead of extracts. gives
you more flexibility also.

Good luck Greg. I've been thinking about all grain brewing but I think I will stick with the dry extract for a while longer.

Well, if you decide to come over to the dark side (the other one) let me know. I can help you get started. It's easier than you think. My batch today went very well....up until I pitched the yeast. I smelled my yeast starter and it was sour. I pitched it anyway but now I'm regretting it. In 15 years I've never had an infection but I think that's about to change. :angry: Hopefully the homebrew shop will be open tomorrow and I can get stuff for another batch if I have to. I'm determined to brew something this weekend dammit. :(

Well it's supposed to be a clone of Geary's Pale Ale. Uses a base of 8 lbs. of pale ale malt, some 55L crystal and some chocolate (malt that is). Has a nice mixture of classic British hops (Fuggles), German (Tettnanger) and American (Cascade & Mt. Hood) with 4 additions plus a dry hop. Looks like it's darker than what you normally think of for a pale ale - due to the chocolate, no doubt. Anyway the wort tasted great. I haven't given up on it yet. I'll see what it smells like in the morning. If it smells heeft then I'll dump it and hope a LHBS is open tomorrow. If I do another batch I may go in a different direction....not sure yet.

wow! that's gonna be hoppy! i'll be suprised if you can taste
if it is bad! fuggles, cascade, and mt. hood, it sounds like
Buffalo Bill's "Alimony Ale" which they advertise as "the bitterest beer
in america". a clear shot at keystone's "least bitter beer" adds
isn't it amazing how easy it was to brainwash mainstream america
into thinking beer isn't supposed to be bitter(have body i call it).

just shows the level of sheep they are :sign: :sign:

anyway, i digress. good luck with your brew.
i wish there was a way to keep it safe cuz' a "brewmiester's
cigar pass"sounds like fun. take and put a couple cigars and
a couple homebrews/your local brewpub brews

l8er!

todd

well....big party today.....it may rain thoug...hope it doesn't because its a big outdoor thingy with lots of people. heading to the party around 4...doing some running around first....bringing wine,Vodka, some cigars and making a salad or two (yes..I do well in the kitchen too!)
last years party got a bit rowdy...hopefully it stays semi sane this year! LOL!

LD, I've moved our beer discussion over to the Saloon. It was getting into full-on threadjacking so I figured it'd be best in order to stay on Charlie's good side to move it.

(yes..I do well in the kitchen too!)
I never liked doing it in the kitchen. All those sharp things lying around....

Looks like I'll be driving to Wendover, NV (closest legal gambling :) ) for a couple days of poker. Wish me luck...yeah right, like I need it :p

Just got back from a beautiful week in Whistler B.C. with the family :D Great time nice and relaxing! I think we'll just stay around home and do a nice picnic with the rest of the extended family and enjoy a couple of nice beers and cigars.

Wishing all of you a great Labor Day ;)

BenjieV :D

Hey Greg, I didn't know I have a good side except for my back side.... :D

I was actually enjoying your beer making story, I'll be following it in the Saloon as you continue your makings.... :thumbs:

My 7 year old daughter and I went to the season opener of the Univ of Hawaii Warriors along with our friends last night. It was a butt-whooping of Appalachian State and a great time!

Today I have a lawn that needs my attention... weeding, mowing, fertilizing and watering... YIPEE! LMAO! At least I'll be able to herf while doing the yardwork!

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

Aloha,

Wade

...vacationed with the wife and baby to my parents home in Richmond, VA. We have been spending our days fishing and smoking cigars at the club. Caught two nice ones today. :)

Hangin at home with the wife and kids. Roasting a beer can chicken, drinkin some Bombay Saphire and smokin a couple of my new ISOMs. Hope eveyone has a GOOD ONE!!

Back