• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Landscaping and......

Treamayne

On the run...
Well, spring has sprung adn I'm starting to try to get some color in the new yard (other than brown of course) and I go out to the nursery, pick up a couple trees and bushes, come home (having already picked out the perfect spots) and proceed to teh front lawn, between two large mature pines. I set rake to soil, in order to clear the pine needles the builders put down, and find.... a two foot+ diameter ant nest right where I planned to put my Weeping Pussywillow sapling (insert bad joke here).

So, the question du jour, does it matter if I still plant here? Will the ants kill or hurt the tree? As far as subspecies, all I can say is that they are small and black, so I know they *aren't* fire andts or carpenter ants. I beleive most ants don't bother trees and help aerate soil, but I don't want to risk it without research. However, I'm not finding much on the topic - lots of info on carpenters and ants with bushes or grass, but not much about ants and hardwoods (insert worse joke here).

Anybody with info or experience?

-K-

i used this stuff from the local home depot and is a powdered ant killer. i think it is called seven or something like that.
the stuff worked, had a similar problem, only was in a stump i was digging up.

I have a spot in my yard with a large colony. I planted a bush about 2 feet away from them and so far nothing has happened. You really don't need to kill them, just move your spot a bit and everything will be fine.

As long as they're not the huge carpenter bastards you should be fine, we have ants everywhere at home.

Thanks for the info

I don't want to kill them if I don't have to, just don't know if they would damage the tree I was hoping to plant.