• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Ralph

I never thought I would get a chance at this stuff, but thanks to AVB, I was able to get ahold of a bottle. The background on this Laphroaig for those who don't know, is that it starts out like all the other Laphroaigs in the range, in American Oak Bourbon barrels. Whisky of different ages is then transferred into previously unused, specially produced Quarter Casks for a final seven- to eight- month finishing period. The smaller casks allow the whisky to receive 30% more contact with wood than other whiskies in traditional barrels, which would definitely change the original product. It's finally bottled, unchillfiltered, at 48%. I couldn't find an age statement anywhere.

Well, here goes my first review in the Saloon.

The initial aroma was typical Laphroaig with all its iodine infused, salty, peaty harshness. I LOVE IT! There was also a hint of that sweet vanilla-rubbery aroma that you find on a new beach ball.The first taste was also typical Laphroaig; salty, oily, medicinal, smokey, but it was much smoother than the 10 year-old. Not mellowed like the 15 year-old, but it had an almost silky, creamy quality to it.

After a few sips, I added about five or six drops of water and the nose just exploded with white chocolate. I was not expecting that! The white chocolate seemed to soften the peat and smokiness but did not mute those flavors at all. In the finish I also tasted a subtle presence of oak (from the increased contact withe the smaller casks I would assume) and some hints of perfectly toasted bread, things that I've never noticed in any Laphroaig product. As the dram went down I drew in a big breath and the heat just warmed my lungs. The Quarter Cask is a fantastic dram. It takes all of the qualities I love in my beloved 10 year-old and adds some really nice accents to it. Looking forward to hearing thoughts of others.

Nice review! The Quarter Cask is a mixture of different ages and that is why there isn't an age statement. Next up for you should be the 10yo Cask Strength, named the best whisky in the world for 2005 by Whisky Magazine.

AVB said:
Nice review! The Quarter Cask is a mixture of different ages and that is why there isn't an age statement. Next up for you should be the 10yo Cask Strength, named the best whisky in the world for 2005 by Whisky Magazine.
[snapback]209085[/snapback]​

I've had the CS only once and had already smoked a cigar or two so I don't feel like I got a completely accurate take on it. Looking forward to another crack at it.

Next up for me will be either the Caol Ila 18 year-old OB, the 11 year-old 1991 Caol Ila - Signatory Bottling or the Murray-McDavid 1987 "Leapfrog" all sitting in my cabinet uncracked. Should be a fun August!

You should like the Caol Ila, I did a review of it here already.

Very interesting.
What is the purpose of adding drops of water.. I have never heard of this.. Please explain..

Thanks!!

All scotch has water in it. When you add more you are changing the proof in your glass which may allow other scents/flavors to come out that the alcohol hid. This doesn't work for every Scotch so a bit of experimentation is required to see if you like it better with or without the added water.

alexgtp said:
Very interesting.
What is the purpose of adding drops of water.. I have never heard of this.. Please explain..

Thanks!!
[snapback]209204[/snapback]​

AVB said:
You should like the Caol Ila, I did a review of it here already.
[snapback]209202[/snapback]​

I saw your review of the CI 18. Got me drooling!

Yes Alex, adding water is subjective and like AVB said above, it really "opens up" most Scotches allowing different aromas and flavors to come out. For the Laphroaig QC I put in about an eyedropper full. For something that is bottled at Cask Strength I'll usually put in a little more. Whatever the case, I start with a few drops and work my way up. Worse case scenario, you add too much water and have to add some more Scotch!

I found this about the age statement on a travel-leisure website.

"After seven to ten years in a bourbon cask, the whisky was transferred to a smaller oak barrel for a mere seven months and has turned out to be one of the most intense spirits ever produced by the distillery—ninety-six proof."

http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/inv...3074509BF5A7FF8