• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Large humi vs. walk-in

prometheus

Read more; post less
I am doing a little research on doing a walk in in the basement of my new home. The basement is unfinished, and has an 12'x12' abutment area that would be perfect for a walk in. The problem I am having is that there is little information I can find regarding installation, materials, even pictures of what can be done. I thoroughly enjoyed Alan's (Atuck) project. I wanted to do something along those lines, but a little more upscale.

Then I found this, which led me to think of doing a wine cellar/humi room instead. I do have plans on doing a dedicated smoking room as well. So, I have a budget of about $20k to finish the project, and wanted to see if you folks had any pictures or ideas you could pass along. I am leaning more towards the large humi/wine cellar idea. However, there is the problem of the temperature requirements for the cigars and wine storage.

I just Googled "Walk In Humidor" and found a bunch of interesting links. Several consultant firms that say this is their specialty.

For temperature control, I'd think having a chat with your local HVAC contractor would be a good idea. It's going to depend a lot on your area's typical temperature range, etc.

I tried to talk the wife into letting me turn a hall closet into a walk in, with no success..... :laugh: I have a Staebell "Aristocrat" that I'm completely happy with, but (surprise, surprise) it doesn't have the capacity I'd really have liked to have.

Good luck - B.B.S.

When I get my new house, first thing I'm doing is building a walk-in humidor / wine cellar. Wine and Cigars like the same environment (cool temp w/ around 68% RH). I say go this route if you have the money/space. Then you can just buy a big humidifier and the whole room will stay nice and humid. Much easier than trying to maintain RH is a cabinet. I think you could build it for around $10k, or even less.

I just Googled "Walk In Humidor" and found a bunch of interesting links. Several consultant firms that say this is their specialty.

For temperature control, I'd think having a chat with your local HVAC contractor would be a good idea. It's going to depend a lot on your area's typical temperature range, etc.

I tried to talk the wife into letting me turn a hall closet into a walk in, with no success..... :laugh: I have a Staebell "Aristocrat" that I'm completely happy with, but (surprise, surprise) it doesn't have the capacity I'd really have liked to have.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Make sure you get a good one. Being on the distribution side I can tell you that a TON of contractors know very little about Humidity besides slapping a humidifier on ductwork.