• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laws in the US regarding Canadian Citizens (and Canadian Residents)

drew_goring

Big Bad Mother F*cker!
After seeing the post about Suckling being busted for bringing Cuban cigars into the USA, I was just wondering, hypothetically of course, what the penalties could be, if any.

I know of a "friend" who was 15 and drove with his parents to Mexico from Canada, and bought some Cuban cigars. Well, at the time my "friend" was not aware of the embargo and brought the cigars back with him through the USA. When he declared them to the Canadian Customs agent he made a comment somewhere along the lines of "well those are sure some expensive American cigars". :laugh:

Let say for example, worst case my "friend" flys to Houston from Canada and brings along a few Cuban cigars for personal consumtion. What could possibly happen. I am already aware that:
a) Customs doesn't check the cigars
b) Customs checks the cigars and confiscates them

What else could happen?

I cannot remember where I read it (maybe on the US Customs website) that there could be a $1000 fine to go along with the confiscation.

I think the best place to get that kind of information is on the Customs Dept. website ... click here

Drew, I've had ISOMs removed from my bags at Customs. I pleaded ignorance, claimed that they were for personal use only (I had 10 sticks) and didn't kick up any stink. So they took the cigars, and let me go with a warning and explained the laws (like I needed to know). Had I caused a rukus, I don't know what would have happened.

So they took the cigars, and let me go with a warning and explained the laws

I was luckier.
They let me run back into the airport and check my cigars at the "Lost and Found" so I could pick them up on my way home.

They had no doubt about "NO Cuban cigars"; personal use or not.

Commander Bob
So that made it once caught out of about 150 trips -not a bad record.

Unless one is "blessed" with diplomatic immunity (and even that is a diminishing get outta jail free card), one is responsible for obeying the laws of the country they are in, regardless of nationality. The penalty for contraband cigars is usually, at most, a fine.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess being a somewhat young professional I my friend will not risk it when flying on company business. Not to mention I my friend is pretty sure I he is on at least the CAD customs guy's list for some questionable importation. :whistling: