• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

dragoondingus

Reaction score
If this sounds a bit formal, it's because I wrote it for an upcoming website started by myself and a couple of friends. It will be sort of a general interest/musings site (but don't call it a blog!). I'll be the resident cigar reviewer. I took some photos, but they are on my camera and it is not with me. I'll post a link when the site is up.

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Maduro
“Chisel” 6.25x54
All Dominican filler and binder, Ecuadorian wrapper
MSRP: $6.25

This cigar is wrapped in a dark Ecuadorian maduro leaf, showing minor veins and no tooth. Firm to the touch and slightly heavy for its size, it is densely packed with a hefty amount of Ligero (Ligero tobacco is taken from the upper part of the plant, and is known for its strength). The distinctive chisel-shaped head is to be admired, especially considering that these are completely hand-made.

A guillotine cutter produces a clean cut while leaving some of the cap still firmly in place - a testament to the construction of this cigar, as it has endured some humidity swings. A pre-light draw reveals earthy tobacco.

Once lit, the first few draws impart some delayed spice - not so much on the tongue, but rather on the back of the throat. The initial taste is slightly floral, but this gives way quickly to the earthy tobacco detected pre-light. As the lit end progresses up the cigar, the heat coaxes oils from the Sumatran-seed wrapper to the surface. Very nice.

The flavors stay the same throughout ¾ of the stick. Just as the monotony becomes a bit tiresome (it’s a good monotony, mind you), the last ¼ changes considerably. Increased heat near the head becomes noticeable, but is not unpleasant. This heat causes the cigar to release hints of a rather unexpected burnt cinnamon, before concluding with a finish that is startlingly reminiscent of cinnamon toast.

While strong, the Double Ligero was never overpowering. The flavors remained balanced and there was not an excessive nicotine kick. Look past its reputation as one of the strongest cigars on the market, and it delivers a solid, earthy tobacco core with an interesting finish.

Recommended.

Nice review. Makes me want one...bad.

Nice review! I try to keep a couple of these on hand since I first tried one

Nice review, dose anyone know how the double ligero maduro compares to the double ligero?