• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liga Privada No. 9

Rebel Herfer

Adiskide honekin, orduak labur!
Drew Estates Liga Privada No.9 - 6 x 52

Had a chance to smoke this beauty tonight, at Stafford & Jones, thanks to the generosity of a fellow DFW BOTL (thanks Frank). This is a bold addition to the Drew Estate line, originally slated for retail late 2007. I've heard it's available in select B&Ms for around $10 a stick. Vibrant wrapper and a skilled roller's skill is quite evident. Long medium grey/white ash was an added pleasure and helped me smoke this down to the last 3/4 inch. Up front I would say it's worth the duckets.

Draft Shiner Bock was the drink of choice and paired very well with the cigar's strong flavors and distinctive profile. I've become more aware of a cigar's profile vs. strength vs. flavors as of late. Most think that classic profile = strong = tobacco flavors, but is not always the case. It has more to do with being in tune with what the blender and roller were trying to express in the vitola. It is very similar to winemaking and how there are so many styles for different occasions/foods. In smoking this stick I was reminded of the traditions of my childhood, as my Grandfather was French I grew up with French wine in the glass as far back as I can remember. My Grandfather would NEVER drink anything but French wine, so I came to appreciate the traditional Bordeaux, Burgundy, etc. expression of the grapes of France. When I was older I broke with family tradition and began to drink New World (think California, Australia, & South America) and soon discovered the grapes from those areas could be as exquisitely expressed as French grapes were.

Voila... the point to the aside - there are different ways to express tobacco with blends, soil, and rollers. One is not necessarily better than another, just a different expression, sometime with the same profile. Liga Privada has a similar profile to some of the bolder ISOMs but with new flavors of the NC tobacco. Strong tobacco flavors with waves of earthy vegetal tones, yet little subtleties as to "filler" flavors such as coffee (yeah for altercall) and toffee and flat spice notes of mace and cedar.

Not a dessert cigar; it's no ballerina in a flowered tutu. It delivers like a Copeland or Gershwin symphony showcases a true American spirit with it's bravado and strength. Thumbs up.

edited for syntax & punctuation

Hahaha, am I the drew estate guy or what?

Sounds like it'd be a good smoke to try out. I'll see if I can find any around town, but I dont plan on stopping by any of the B&M's for a while, as I'm seriously strapped for cash.

Sounds like a good cigar, I'd like to try one as well.

They are a good cigar IMO. Mowee recommended them a while back so I picked one up. I found it to be a tasty, high quality cigar. The flavors presented weren't what I typically go for, but very good nonetheless. Definately a cigar I recommend that people try.

D

One of the few cigars where I liked the regular release more than the pre release samples, now if they could just make more and lower the price a tad :D

Yeah the price of them is killing me too. NEver thought I'd be spending that much on em...but heck they are worth it. Then again I have also ought the No Jodas Con Texas made by La Aurora (250 boxes) at 12 bucks a stick. (Not to thread jack but this is another fantastic cigar.)

The problem with the LP#9 is A) they have a lot of rejects because the wrapper is hard to get looking just right. And B) Steve Saka said they had trouble getting some of the tobacco they needed.

It is pricey for me but it is a very Cubanesque cigar to my palate and I love em. YOu can only get em at the 50 or so authroized B&Ms. Steve is going to post a list of the authorized retailers on the DE site soon.

Glad yall like it. I thought it was great from the first time I smoked it.

thread jack:

So you showed up last night Jeff? I was there until 7:15 or so.

end thread jack:

thread jack:

So you showed up last night Jeff? I was there until 7:15 or so.

end thread jack:

Yes I did, but way late. Work was busy and I took the Campbell exit off the Goerge Bush instead of the 75! What a bonehead!! Where were you on Sunday - expected a call around 1pm? How's the baby?
:End thread jack: :)

Not a dessert cigar; it's no ballerina in a flowered tutu. It delivers like a Copeland or Gershwin symphony showcases a true American spirit with it's bravado and strength. Thumbs up.

That's damn flowery writtin' for a Texan. Good review.

Doc.

>Here< is Moki's writeup on Vitolas.net. Looks and sounds like an interesting smoke. :)

I think that was mostly Steve Saka's review of the pre-release and I've heard it has changed quite a bit. Still good and you should try one at least. It seems to match the profiles you favor.

Well, a kind member here gifted me a pair of these bad boys a while back, along with some other sticks, and I'm going outside to smoke one right now. I'll report my findings when I return.

I should have picked up one of these while I was at Two Brothers tonight. Maybe I'll stop by and get one tomorrow while they still have some. From what I hear it's an excellent smoke.

Okay folks, spent a good hour and a half outside with this bad boy and here's my review:

Cigar: Drew Estate Liga Privada No. 9

Smoke: Wow.

That about sums it up. This was an excellent smoke. It was pretty heavy though, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm feelin' the effects of it...not necessarily in a good way. But even so, I don't regret it in the least. It was incredible. Tons of thick smoke, incredibly consistent smoothness and flavor, never got hot, even in the last inch. I just wish I could find them around here. This cigar gave me a good ass whoopin, but I loved it. Not an every day smoke, but it was amazing. I'm glad I have another!