• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lismore Speyside

Apathy78

Lismore Speyside
40%ABV around $20 US

I have never heard of this bottle before seeing it at my local liquor store. I noticed the price tag of 20 bucks and decided to give it a try.
While not a huge Speyside fan, they tend to be a bit sweet for my taste, I don’t dislike them enough not to pass up a $20 bottle.
The whisky had a nice aroma and good color, not a real deep or rich color but not a real light color either with a light and pleasant aroma that was not at all overpowering in any way.
I took this offering neat. It went down smooth and kind of reminded me of Cragganmore a bit initially , however Cragganmore has a better more fuller overall flavor IMO.
This whisky had a good taste, kind of weak, but not bad. I didn’t bother adding ice to this as I am sure it would have completely taken away all of the taste. A stronger taste would have rounded this whisky out a bit, but hey 20 bucks right?

After a few more glasses, I came to the conclusion that this is a pretty damn good whisky for the price. :thumbs: I would even say that I rate it ahead of The Glenlivet 12yr but below Cragganmore 12yr in the Speyside region.

You really can’t go wrong with this bottle for 20 bucks. ;)

...I’ve heard that Lismore is actually a Glenrothes. Not sure if that is true or not though...

I havent seen that bottle in the Midwest but that isnt unusual tho. Better than Glenlivet 12yo. Sweet cuz I dont think much about that one. I personally think the Glenfiddich 12yo is better than the Glenlivet version.

I'd love to get my hands on a bottle tho cuz I do enjoy a lot of the Speyside Scotch.

I havent seen that bottle in the Midwest but that isnt unusual tho. Better than Glenlivet 12yo. Sweet cuz I dont think much about that one. I personally think the Glenfiddich 12yo is better than the Glenlivet version.

I'd love to get my hands on a bottle tho cuz I do enjoy a lot of the Speyside Scotch.
I’d keep an eye out for it if I were you...you just never know...it’s pretty good stuff, especially for a Speyside guy IMO ;)

Well Apathy, I just got your little surprise bottle of this. I've never had Lismore before so this will be a real treat. I just poured me a glass of it and I have to admit, its not that bad. And for that price, wow. I would have expected something rot gut, but not this one.

Thanks for this bottle. I was like who sent me this and so I looked here to see if anyone posted about it. It will go well with my collection.

Ya made my day. :thumbs:

I mentioned Lismore being a good budget malt back in April in this thread.

Yeah I saw that but I just spaced it off. I do agree for that price, it isnt bad at all. It does have a hot alcohol smell when I opened it and I have the glass I still poured at the initial post on here. Just to test how it would do in a glass for around 10 hours and it stands up like a Champ. I would get this bottle for sure if I ever saw it.

There was a store in MD that carried it but they don't any longer and I haven't found it anywhere local since. I'll snag another if I run across one.

Sorry I missed that AVB.

Do you know if this is actually a Glenrothes?
Kind of like the McClelland Islay is a Bowmore.

Well Apathy, I just got your little surprise bottle of this. I've never had Lismore before so this will be a real treat. I just poured me a glass of it and I have to admit, its not that bad. And for that price, wow. I would have expected something rot gut, but not this one.

Thanks for this bottle. I was like who sent me this and so I looked here to see if anyone posted about it. It will go well with my collection.

Ya made my day. :thumbs:
Glad you like it.

My expectations weren't that high for this one either, but I was pleasantly surprised.

So how do you think it ranks with other Speysides?

Enjoy!

I've had a ton of quality Speysides. I thinks its on a higher level than Glenlivet 12yo since I think the Glenfiddich 12yo is probably one of the better cheaper bottles from Speyside at that low of price. Hell I think the Dalmore 12yo is better than the Glenlivet 12yo. For some reason I cant really stand the Glenlivet at that young of age. Give me 21yo Archive and I'm in heaven. But in reality, this bottle for the price is definitely a winner for sure. I just polished off what I had left in the glass since I wanted to see how it stood up over a long period of time and I have to say, DAMN. :thumbs:

Some of the blended and pure malt Lismore's are thought to have a fair amount of Glenrothes in them but I haven't heard anywhere that the Lismore single malts are Glenrothes.

Do you know if this is actually a Glenrothes?
Kind of like the McClelland Islay is a Bowmore.