• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

lobster season is about to start in California

Friggame

Really looking foward to the season starting. Only reason you do not see cigars in the pictures is most of the time it is right after a pull and that average pull is from 100ft (water ruins cigars)

nice_one.jpg

10-26-2007_256747.jpg

my_4.jpg

12-23-200713thpull.jpg

Anyone that knows me knows my hands are not exactly small here is a lobster leg
lobster_leg.jpg

Here is what they look like cooked
Yummmm.jpg

Damn that looks good! You have your own boat or charter boats do lobster fishing also.

Not bad...we can get lobster for $5.99 a pound here and its pretty tasty. But that dish looks yummy.

Damn that looks good! You have your own boat or charter boats do lobster fishing also.

There are a few charter boats that do California lobster trips.... I use either my own boat or a friends... mostly friends because his boat has a cabin and frankly it gets cold crossing the catalina channel during the winter in a center consol.

Oh man that looks awesome! Closest I get to a lobster is crawdads. :laugh:

The size of the lobster in that first pick is insane.

I remember spending my summers in Newfoundland and at the time lobster was considered a poor man's food as they were so plentyful on the island. It was thought only mainlanders were crazy enough to spend money on lobster. My Father's been doing it for the past couple of years again since he retired (after having done it in his youth) which is great as there is always lobster on hand when I visit.

Best of luck this season.

Wow you sure that first one Is a lobster and not a sea monster.

That looks fun and tasty. I've got friends who get lobster but not nearly as many, although their excuse is they have to catch them all by hand. Wish I could make the dive trip out there one day.

I used to go lobster hunting all the time. But the Harbor Patrol has made the once fun activity a royal pain. I might go once or twice this season.

Not bad...we can get lobster for $5.99 a pound here and its pretty tasty. But that dish looks yummy.

I love lobster, the cheapest I see it in Houston is $8.99/lb, but they are typically very small. $5.99 is a screaming deal!!

Dang, that bug in the first pic is enormous! Didn't realize you could catch Dungies down in SoCal. Looks like fun!

Dang, that bug in the first pic is enormous! Didn't realize you could catch Dungies down in SoCal. Looks like fun!

I believe those are Rock crabs. Usually the bye catch when you are hunting for lobster. Still, they taste good imo.

I believe those are Rock crabs. Usually the bye catch when you are hunting for lobster. Still, they taste good imo.

Ah, I see the claws now. Their size and purplish color threw me off. I've caught Dungeness, red and rock crabs with snares in NorCal and all were good eating!

I have to change my shirt now! Those look good. Wish I could say I have done that.

I usually can only find Boston lobsters here in San Francisco supermarkets.
When I was in Hong Kong, we only eat this type of lobsters, and we called it Australian lobster in Chinese. I love it! And I thought there is no such lobster in the US.
By the way, how do you call this type?

If I recall they are Rock Lobster. The ones in Florida look similar to this as well.

I believe those are Spiny Lobster also called Rock Lobster. There is a similar species in Florida.

Edited to add the "AKA" Rock Lobster.

Well they sure as hell ain't New England Lobsters.

Doc.

The size of the lobster in that first pick is insane.

I remember spending my summers in Newfoundland and at the time lobster was considered a poor man's food as they were so plentyful on the island. It was thought only mainlanders were crazy enough to spend money on lobster. My Father's been doing it for the past couple of years again since he retired (after having done it in his youth) which is great as there is always lobster on hand when I visit.

Best of luck this season.

How old are you? I'm not even that old. What you say is true. Lobster used to be used as fertilizer and food for prisoners. You pulled your blinds if you were eating it at home because you didn't want your neighbors to know. But, that was way before my time when the state of Maine began to promote the eating of lobster. Wait a minute. I forgot. We're talking about Newfies.;) :laugh:

Doc.

Larry H is correct they are called spiny lobster aka Rock lobster. I honestly like these better than Maine Lobster. I find the texture of the meat as well as the sweetness of it is more to my taste. Besides the Tails on these things have tons of meat.