• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long ashes or short ashes?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Is it good to have long ashes on your cigar, or should you flick them off before they get long? I know you can argue both sides, but what do you guys think?I usually let me ash get to be about an inch long, and then flick it off.Rod

I do the same as you Rod. As long as the ash is not flaky then I let it go to about an inch and then flick. This is one of those things that there is no right or wrong way to do it.

One thing though... I noticed that sometimes when I flick it off, the cigar begins "tunneling" - it burns faster than the wrapper itself. Then I'm stuck having to relight it to get it back to a normal burn state. Rod

- If you let the ash for about an inch long you can see the construction, the burning, the consistence and the quality of the tobacco leafs (Black ash is related to poor quality leafs, White ash is related to good quality leafs).
- I personally let the ash resting on the cigar for about 1 inch.
- It's easy to spot an unexperienced smoker just looking the way he handle the ash of his cigar.

I let the cigar decide when it is ready to be ashed. After I've accumulated enough ash to get a good look at the cigar's construction, I will occassionally tap it gently while holding it over the ash tray. If it's ready, it drops.I find it humorous to watch the contortions some people will go through in order to maintain a long ash. In addition to looking silly, I was under the impression that excessively long ashes interfere with the flow of oxygen to the tobacco and can also mess up the burn.

I'm with Keith on this one. Granted, I smoke mostly outdoors, so the ash can jump off whenever it wants to. If I'm inside I'll be a little more aware, and try to drop it in an ashtray before it leaps off on its own.On the color question I must disagree with the above post. I have seen no correlation between color and quality. From what I'm told the color merely indicates the presence of certain minerals (magnesium?) in the soil in which the tobacco was grown. Some of the best cigars I've smoked (both Cuban and non-Cuban) have had dark gray ashes.

I try to let the ash grow as long as it can before flicking.

Hi guy's I'm new here. I' do post at other BB's too (CA, CW,CF)  But any way I' like to let go to about an inch if it's not to flaky. :cool: