• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long & skinnies

investandprosper

I'm just over 4 years into this hobby, and I have started gravitating towards 42 rg smokes and below. Cohiba Lanceros and PL Montecarlos are hitting the spot.<br /><br />When I was just starting out, it seemed a lot of the older guys preferred the long & skinnies. Is it just something that happens with experience? More appreciation for the subtle flavors, and the patience of just sipping a cigar?

I am still fairly new at this, about three years now, and my favorite vitolas are lanceros and coronas. They do seem to have better flavors to me, and they are just so much more comfortable to hold and smoke than the larger rings are.

Lanceros are for unctuous, thin mustachioed, panama hat wearing pimps. Stay away from them. Noobs can't handle it.

Doc

I love petite coronas, and prefer anything from the classic corona gorda down. I still smoke larger ring gauge cigars due to some being quite good. For my palate, it seems like the Cubans really do the PC best. I honestly don't know if it is the Tobacco, blending, etc., or all of the factors.

I'm real leary about Lanceros. To me, it is all about showcasing a great wrapper, and I've had too many current Lanceros that just didn't do it for me. Will give a nod to Fuente and the Cubans though, as all I've had from them were great.

I thought it might have something to do with my panama hats and white trash mustache.

investandprosper said:
How about a Lancero with a fedora?
That, would be a fashion faux paux of tragic proportions. Everyone knows a toro pairs with a fedora.

Doc

I too have observed this change of preferences in myself, although some of it may be fashion and the saturation of the market with jaw breakers. Some of the finest smokes I've had were Panatellas, coronas, and lanceros. What I haven't yet embraced are the truly short smokes.

I blame Al at PuffnStuff for getting me hooked on Lanceros years back. (Also when he would post his deals).

Smaller ring gauges have been my preferred size since. 

Me think Doc protests too much.

Doc is right on in the fashion area, BUT, you see, Cigar length and ring gauge is also directly proportional to the style hat, brim diameter, brim geometry, etc. The interaction of the smoke to brim, the path the smoke takes from the end of the cigar, and eddy currents. This interaction will also affect how the cigar burns due to the proportionate volume of oxygen transfer facilitated by said criteria. It is all heady stuff. Not to mention the balance you are able to maintain with the position of your head. This was all figured out long ago, before computers....

I'll admit it only applies to the first 1/3 of the cigar, so, just taking your hat off for the first 1/3 is often effective.

:rolleyes:

;)

I just wear a baseball cap and turn my head when I exhale. 

Cparker

You mean spit, don't ya? Because BB caps are for dippers and chewers.

Doc

Padron Panatellas would be my smoke of choice... if they actually existed.

I've never been a fan of large RG cigars.  I used to consider 50 rg robustos on the larger side, but now with the trend of 6x60+ becoming more the norm than the novelty, I've embraced the 5 x 50 stick.  I still prefer a mid-40's rg, though.  I'm thinking of skipping the fedora, however, and just going straight for a sombrero.  Too many damn hipsters thinking they look cool in fedoras.  I'm just going to go for the dirty gringo look.

Devil Doc said:
You mean spit, don't ya? Because BB caps are for dippers and chewers.

Doc
 Did both in my younger days, even learned to spit through my catcher's mask so I did not have to lift it up. Then learned that lighting was better than biting.
Besides, I can't wear a Panama hat as I am too fat for a double breasted suit.

I just started smoking lanceros this summer after the suggestion of some guys at my local shop.  I've been really happy with EH Carillo's and the Tatuaje Triunfador.  Any suggestions for any others to try?

No. The last noob I turned on to some great lanceros now wears a zoot suit and diddy bops down Main St. BTW, you might have better luck with answers to your questions if you bop on over to the intro forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Doc