• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long Term Storage Question

Wombat

Wombats Have Skills
Hi All:

I have a long term storage question. Right now, I have a small coolidor. Has about 6 boxes in it, some are full and some are used for single storage. It is about ¾ full and has half a pound of 65% beads to regulate things. Now I should state that it has been somewhat atypical weather here in the Northeast this summer. Many days above 90 degrees and above 80% humidity. I have the coolidor in the basement, and the max temp it hit was 76, but the humidity has always been around 72%. I have tested my digitial guage, and believe it to be accurate. If I throw in a blu ice(wrapped in a cloth), which I did on the hottest days, I can get the temp down and the humidity stabilizes at 65%. This leads me to believe that I won’t have any problems once things cool down. But thinking of next summer, should I build a small fridgeador? I can get one of the small wine fridges and the supplemental thermostat for around $300. I figure that I can build cedar shelves and wire up a small fan to run part time. So, I guess my question is, is this really necessary? This is about as much as I could spend on storage, so a $3000 custom job is not going to happen ;) . What would you do?

Definitely do the wine cooler. If you have Cubans in the collection, 76 is way too hot.

A good compromise solution might be to freeze all your cigars you currently have any also freeze any incoming to eliminate the risk of a beetle outbreak. This probably isn't a bad idea anyway since wine coolers and any mechanical system can break down and the temperature can rise. Then just continue what you are doing to keep the temp down on the hottest days which probably doesn't happen more than a few days every Summer. See, you just saved $300.00 that you can now use to buy more cigars!! :laugh: :laugh:

Hmm, this may sound silly, but why can't you just run your AC? It has been hot as I've ever seen this summer in Missouri, and I ran my AC for about 90% of the summer. Kept my humidor between 65 - 72 degrees (in my basement) pretty easily.

I always freeze all boxes of Cuban cigars for at least 5 days and then 2 or 3 days in the refridgerator just to be on the safe side. Just be sure to bouble ziplock bag the boxes before you put them in the freezer and don't remove the bags until you put them back in your coolerdor. Running the A/C helps too. :D

Does the freezing kill the beetles, and does it affect the flavor or oils of the cigars??

Thanks,

K

Yes, freezing at the appropriate temperature for the prescribed number of days will kill all stages of beetle. Many members do this as a precaution for all incoming stock. I've never heard anyone mention it affected the quality or taste of their sticks if done according to the protocol as outlined by Atuck above. :thumbs: