• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Look out Trout!

Yojimbo

Brutish Nubber
I am embarking on my first ever fly fishing experience today. I've never touched a fly pole in my life. Here's to hoping I don't suck.

Any fly fishermen in our ranks?

I like fly fishing. I suck at it, but I really like it.

Nothing makes you feel like more of a man than catching a fish on a flyrod.
Except maybe catching it with your bare hands. :cool:

Careful of your ears. Getting a hook caught in one sure sucks.

Doc

Yeah a few of the Fort Smith members like to go fly fishing when we can. We are lucky enough to have some great rivers within driving distance and have caught rainbows, browns, stripers, hybrids, walleye, small mouth bass, bream, etc. Colin (Indieangler), BJ (Bond), and myself just got back from the Fly Fishing Film tour on Tuesday and it was a blast. I more or less tag along and smoke cigars, but Colin and BJ really know their stuff when it comes to a fly rod. Shoot either of them a pm if you have any questions! :thumbs:

Brandon

Had a great time! Caught one, which I consider a victory. Evidence below.

48faeeaf-f0d4-948f.jpg

48faeeaf-f0ed-0305.jpg

48faeeaf-f10b-085a.jpg

That's an Alec Bradley Tempus.

I see a new hobby/obsession in my future.

Oh, look at that. It's a fish, only smaller.

Doc

James that is not a bad fish for a fly rod. Those little guys put up a fight on a lighter rod and are really fun! It looks like a bass though I might be wrong. Either way good stuff. :thumbs: Looks like you are hooked! lol...I am lame

Brandon

Yeah, it's a small mouth bass. I was just glad I had a catch on my first trip out. We're going to fish a few hours tomorrow before we head home, but I can already tell I'm hooked (no pun intended).

been fly fishing for over 20 years. Its a great feeling to catch a fish on a fly rod but it is even a better feeling to tie the fly and then catch a fish on a fly your made. rp

Attempting this again week after next. Hopefully I'll do better now that I'm experienced a bit.

Attempting this again week after next. Hopefully I'll do better now that I'm experienced a bit.

Good luck! Fly fishing is a passion of mine and last year I spent a good bit of time fishing the Western Carolina Fly Fishing Trail. That whole area seems to prefer accurate casting over achieving a perfect drift. Most of the dry fly hits that I had were within a second or two of the fly landing on the surface. Nymphs were also pretty effective but I am much more of a dry fly fan.

Grab some barbecue and try to track down some of the beer from that Heinzelmannchen Brewery up there.

It's a science I've just scratched the surface of, but one outing and I was hooked (pun maybe intended). Since then I've been reading up, looking at gear, and practicing casting in the back yard. Something about the back and forth of the whole thing is calming. We fish the South Toe, near Ashville.