• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lookin for some advice here

mr.mac

Well, Looks like I finally got an interview with the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services. Some of you guys know that I am very close to finishing my Masters degree in Rehabilitation Counseling. Looks like I might actually have to go to work soon... :whistling:

Interviewing for state jobs like this is kind of funny. I have several friends that already work for the agency. Apparently they "score" your interview based on your usage of "key words". I'm not too crazy about this policy, but I understand their desire to thourougly screen applicants. After all, this is tax payor dollars at work here.

So I guess I'm just looking for some general advice on interviewing. I already have a lot of formal training in job placement and job acquiring skills... but the folks here on CP never cease to amaze me with their weath of knowledge.

Any suggestions are helpful...

mac

Make sure your fly is up.

Seriously, just be yourself. I know there are all kinds of tips and tricks, but if you just be honest and true to who you are during the interview you and the prospective employer will be better able to judge whether or not you'll be happy (=productive) in the position. You say you have the formal training, so other than that you're just getting to know them and they're getting to know you.

That's just my opinion. I wish you the best! :)

Perhaps your friends may be able to provide a little inside information in order to help you cover your buzz-word bases. Take them out for drinks and get them a little liquored up and then start asking questions...

If that fails, you could always just memorize all this nonsense:

My current aspiration is to strategically leverage a position in a turn-key and future-proof global marketplace, thereby utilizing the synergistic funtionalities inherent to a skills ecosystem that orchestrates and proceduralizes mission-critical marketecture. By incentivizing team players during deep dive endeavors and pathfinder projects, I frequently invoke a tactical paradigm shift that focuses on promulgating leading-edge methodologies. Although rallying the troops is often outsourced, a strong disintermediator can empower such a matrixed skill set, and can ramp-up the human capital, allowing the team to catch the moving train as it traverses the value stream. By garnering low-hanging fruit, I will ultimately break through the glass ceiling, and capitalize on recontextualization of robust enterprise key reinforcement areas such as recognizing the criticality of monetizing scalable fiscal metrics. Also, by mitigating show-stoppers, and focusing on the long pole in the tent, I will keep from getting behind the 8 ball. Finally, I plan to hypertask, rack and stack responsibilities, and propagate enablers who can drill down into core competencies and bird dog soft money opportunities; all while simultaneously weaving myself a golden parachute and avoiding being surplussed.

Mr. Mac,

I posted about an interview for an internship (I recently got!) There were a lot of great hints and pointers from the CP crew in that thread. We do have a lot of very smart and helpful individuals on this board. I hope someone can help give you the suggestions and pointers that you require. Best of luck to you. Oh and one piece of advice - don't sweat the small stuff. I messed up a key question in my interview, but they saw through that and hired me anyways.

-Aaron