• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a Bourbon pairing

jethro-b

This August I will be on a yearly camping trip with 5 or 6 old friends from high school. This has been an annual event for about 15 to 20 years now. The guys usually show up with an interesting bottle , food or other lavish treat. In most cases Scotch. This year I plan on taking a bottle of Bourbon (Buffalo Trace ??) and a round of cigars. The guys are occasional smokers at best so I hope to provide something interesting for a group of rookies (smoking not drinking rookies). I am thinking smokes of decent size which will last a good amount of time around the campfire without causing anyone to fall over and perhaps damage the fire. I have a few CAO La Traviata Intrepido's on hand but am not really sure.

Not being a Bourbon expert I thought I might get some decent pairing suggestions here.

Bourbon can stand up to a cigar with a lot of punch. The three that come to mind would be an Undercrown Toro, a Pepin My Father Le Bijou 1922, or if you really want to "go for it" a Padron Family Reserve 45.

Honestly, there are about a million good bourbon cigars, depending on your taste. Those are a few suggestioins.....

I smoke CAO La Traviata and Four Roses Small Batch all the time. They go together superbly.

Undercrown and Blanton's bourbon came to mind when I saw the title. I sure like that combo. :)

Didn't care for the Four Roses (either single barrel or small batch) that I had. Hopefully you have time to try out a few combos before you leave.

Illusione's Epernay line goes great with Buffalo Trace . . . I keep a bottle under the counter at my local B&M!

~Boar

Thanks for the ideas. I will bring this list when I get out to my local in Mesa. Maybe a mix so the guys can compare their experiences.

undercrown intrigues me , haven't had one yet

After a bit of testing I went with Torano exodus 1959 and Elijah Craig 12 yr. Although the undercrown was delightful.
That should be a good pairing for guys new to cigars and bourbon. Thanks for the input , it was great to try new things.

The Exodus '59 is one of my long time standbyes---not a flashy smoke, but smooth and strong and beautifully constructed. Always a sharp, even burn and a great draw. Elijah Craig 12 is fairly sweet, iirc . . . that's a good matchup for it.

~Boar

Agree with your assessment on the Exodus and the pairing. Should be good for a new smoker as well.

Any Don Pepin Garcia Blue label will be a good pairing for a strong whiskey or bourbon, IMHO.