• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a good wine

prophetic_joe

Hey guys I have always liked the idea of drinking wine but I have had a really hard time finding wines that suit my taste. I tend to like the more fruity and sweet wines more over the spicey, tart wines. I had a merlot once that I liked and some riesling (sp) and those were good but most of the other wines I have had were a bit to tart and dry for my tastes. Any ideas?

anyone know of a way i could try cognac without having to buy a whole bottle as well? I can't seem to find any small sampler bottles but I would hate to buy a whole bottle and not like it. Had that happen with a bottle of scotch I bought, realized after buying it that I am not much of a scotch drinker.

Thanks guys.
Nate

Hit a bar and ask for a glass of Hennessey. Search the threads here, there are some very good reviews that may interest you.

So anyone have any wines that come to mind that may suit my tastes? Not a white zin guy if that helps. Like I said I like a wetter wine that is for sure. Anyone?

Oh and thanks dugly.

Tangomar mentioned that you and he were getting together to smoke some cigars this weekend. can't make it but like I said we need to line up an Iowa herf sometime.

go with a Pinot Noir for a red. Try Arcadian.

and buy the congac at a bar. It's more than a nip but less that having a bottle you won't drink.

prophetic_joe said:
Hey guys I have always liked the idea of drinking wine but I have had a really hard time finding wines that suit my taste. I tend to like the more fruity and sweet wines more over the spicey, tart wines. I had a merlot once that I liked and some riesling (sp) and those were good but most of the other wines I have had were a bit to tart and dry for my tastes. Any ideas?
[snapback]295487[/snapback]​

Hey Nate,

Let's see if we can break this down a bit. What do you mean by sweet wins? Reislings, Ports, Late Harvest? or are you talking about wines with big fruit in there taste profile. Also, which do you prefer, white or red. Are there any varietals that you don't like? i.e. Cabernet, Merlot, Zinfandel (red), Pinot.

By a "tart" wine it sounds like your talking about a wine with a bit more acidity, which generally make for a good food wines. A well balanced wine will have some acidity but shouldn't be an overpowering element.

:cool:

My wife has had a lot of luck selling a Moscato d'Asti to people who have a sweeter/wet taste for wines. These are usually people who have little experience with anything other than what you might get at a chain restaurant or at a grocery store. It is more of a dessert wine that has a hint of a champagne taste to it.

Right now (well, not "RIGHT" now), I'm enjoying a nice norton, from southwestern Illinois. Great red!!

NorCalCigarLover said:
prophetic_joe said:

Hey Nate,

Let's see if we can break this down a bit. What do you mean by sweet wins? Reislings, Ports, Late Harvest? or are you talking about wines with big fruit in there taste profile. Also, which do you prefer, white or red. Are there any varietals that you don't like? i.e. Cabernet, Merlot, Zinfandel (red), Pinot.

By a "tart" wine it sounds like your talking about a wine with a bit more acidity, which generally make for a good food wines. A well balanced wine will have some acidity but shouldn't be an overpowering element.

[snapback]295811[/snapback]​

no idea really. haven't drank many wines. I have tried Reisling and enjoyed it. mostly a cheap wine drinker. had maybe 4 types in my life. Cheap $10 bottle of Turning leaf merlot was good. My brother bought a $5 bottle of Fairbanks port and left it here, thought I'd try it cracked it open and it's not bad.

prophetic_joe said:

anyone know of a way i could try cognac without having to buy a whole bottle as well? I can't seem to find any small sampler bottles but I would hate to buy a whole bottle and not like it. Had that happen with a bottle of scotch I bought, realized after buying it that I am not much of a scotch drinker.

Thanks guys.
Nate

if i may, you might try the 2003 Chateau Du Chatelard Beaujolais Villages. i had it at a local restaurant recently. it's not very dry and has more of a full berry flavor that you may be looking for. picked up a couple bottles the next week for home. i tend to stray towerds the dries reds, but this one went very well before and after dinner. under $20 i believe.

prophetic_joe said:
no idea really. haven't drank many wines. I have tried Reisling and enjoyed it. mostly a cheap wine drinker. had maybe 4 types in my life. Cheap $10 bottle of Turning leaf merlot was good. My brother bought a $5 bottle of Fairbanks port and left it here, thought I'd try it cracked it open and it's not bad.
[snapback]296115[/snapback]​

Okay, that helps a little bit. Check out V. Sattui Wineryfor some decent wines at good prices. V. Sattui makes a wine called Gamay Rouge that you will probably enjoy, I do believe they also make a White Zinfandel that is quite fruity and affordable. I'm not sure about availability but if you can find them you may want to check them out.

If you can increase your wine budget and want to build your palate check out the wines from Rosenblum Cellars. Their availabilty across the country is decent and they make some outstanding wines. Prices can be higher but they do offer a broad range of variety.

Good Luck!

Nate,

If you haven't yet, you owe it yourself to try a bottle of Hardy Whiskers Tawny Port. Every one I've given it to has loved it. It might fit your needs. For the price ($10.95@bottle) it is very hard to beat. Just my 2¢.

BrewMeister said:
Nate,
If you haven't yet, you owe it yourself to try a bottle of Hardy Whiskers Tawny Port. Every one I've given it to has loved it. It might fit your needs. For the price ($10.95@bottle) it is very hard to beat. Just my 2¢

Yup, I completly forgot about this Port BrewMeister, this is one fantastic buy :thumbs:

NorCalCigarLover said:
prophetic_joe said:
[snapback]296115[/snapback]​

If you can increase your wine budget and want to build your palate check out the wines from Rosenblum Cellars. Their availabilty across the country is decent and they make some outstanding wines. Prices can be higher but they do offer a broad range of variety.

Good Luck!

[snapback]296272[/snapback]​

Thank you David!!! I went to my local Cost Plus World Market and picked up a bottle of Rosenblum Cellars California Zinfandel Vintners Cuvee XXVIII. An incredibly well balanced wine with a rich cherry/plum flavor. And at $10 a bottle, it was an incredible bargain for a great wine!!! :thumbs:

ggiese said:
Thank you David!!! I went to my local Cost Plus World Market and picked up a bottle of Rosenblum Cellars California Zinfandel Vintners Cuvee XXVIII. An incredibly well balanced wine with a rich cherry/plum flavor. And at $10 a bottle, it was an incredible bargain for a great wine!!! :thumbs:
[snapback]297266[/snapback]​

Fantastic George! I'm glad you liked it, here's a tip ... keep your eye out for for the Rosenblum Paso Robles, Richard Sauret Vineyard, Zinfandel. At under $20 a bottle that wine is the shiz :thumbs: , they can't keep it on the shelves around here.

OK I'm topping this. Still looking to get into wine but I really have no idea where to start. What is a good jumping off point to get into this wine thing.

OK I'm topping this. Still looking to get into wine but I really have no idea where to start. What is a good jumping off point to get into this wine thing.

Pick up the book "Windows On The World Complete Wine Course: 2007 Edition at Amazon for a good resource and place to start.
Attend a wine tasting event either at a local wine merchant store or tasting event.
Attend a wine tasting class at a local merchant, adult ed., community college or other.
Visit your local wineries for tasting a lot of different wines and ask questions.
Check out a online wine forum such as Vinocellar.com, I'm NorCalVinoLover over there.

I hope this works better for you

I would try Pillar Box Red. It is an Aussie red blend. It is a great buy at under $10, is very fruit forward and does not have the acid that you are looking to stay away from.

Ok I went out and bought a bottle of wine. It was reccomended by a guy I knew who was also buying some. Sutter Home Moscato. It was very inexpensive but I thought it was pretty darn good. So if I like this wine what others mught I find that are better but along the same lines?

Ok I went out and bought a bottle of wine. It was reccomended by a guy I knew who was also buying some. Sutter Home Moscato. It was very inexpensive but I thought it was pretty darn good. So if I like this wine what others mught I find that are better but along the same lines?

Give this a try Moscato Allegro. It usually runs about $10, and is 100 times better than the Sutter Home IMHO.