• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for someone with a lot of military knowledge

TBaGZ

I'm around...
Since I have been laid up at home and am almost always on my computer a guy at work asked me to list some things on ebay for him. He brought over this Shoulder harness/belt that he says he personally took off of a cuban soldier when he was in grenada. It seems to be an accessories harness for holding canteens and flashlights or what not. I was wondering if anyone can give me anymore information about it. It has a shiled of some sort on the buckle that might mean something. I am just looking for something to help out in the description in the listing and would appreciate any help.

100_1953.jpg

100_1958.jpg

This looks awful close!

army-cuban-occupation-1998-1902.jpg

army-cuban-occupation-1898-1902

So - if it was taken off of a Cuban Soldier...it was taken from the US and kept in great shape....and may be worht even MORE as a US Occupation item - should it turn out to be just that! :)

I need a better shot of the shield....and are there any marking on the metal or the harness?

let me see what i can do about a better pic.. My camera sucks! It does look very similar.

100_1962.jpg

100_1960.jpg

the top portion of the shield seems to have a skeleton key with a sun rising over it. the lower right side has what looks kinda like a palm tree. and the left side has diaganol stripes. above the shield there is a helmet on a stick i think.

While looking for 'double strap leather belt' I found this....linky! ...and this linky!

O Daddy likey!!! I'll go to war over that any day!!!

The "shield" is the Cuban "Coat of Arms" or Shield.
escudo.jpg

COAT OF ARMS OF CUBA
(Second patriotic symbol of Cuba)
- 1849 -
The coat of arm of CUBA was conceived in 1849 by Miguel Terbe Tolón; a Cuban patriot born in the west providence of Cuba known as Matanzas. General Narciso López head of the Provincial Government of Cuba, adopted the coat of arm to seal communications and bonds emitted during the years of 1850 and 1851.

Originally the Cuban coat of arms contained elements that were later omitted for not being considered representative of the ideals of that time.

On April 21, 1906, Tomás Estrada Palma, (first constitutional president of Cuba) through a decree, determined how the second of the national symbols would come to be, one that through the annals of history, would always remind the glories of the past and the consecrations of grand efforts.

The coat of arms was shaped from an elongated oval, and is divided through two thirds of its height where it is then cut off by a horizontal line. In the upper part, the main area, one observes an ocean in which two landmasses are visible with a key placed at the center.

These elements symbolize the geographical importance and politics of CUBA. The key represents the entrance of the Gulf of Mexico and the significance of the land masses are from left to right, Cape Sable, Florida and Cape Catoche, Mexico. In the background, the sun appears partially sunk on the horizon, detonating its tropical heat.

The lower left quadrant, represent the division of the island, or the Departments in which the island was divided in those times, representing them with three turquoise stripes. Two white stripes, that exhibit the purity of its patriots, inserted between the three turquoise stripes, close the contents of the compartment.

In the lower right quadrant there is a palm tree, symbol of the health and fertility of its privledged ground, exposing that the palm has been the most utilized tree throughout the history of that country. The background displays two mountains and light silhouettes frame the landscape.

As a way of support, a column of rods shows at the top and bottom of the "ojiva" vertices. At the top is a cap with a five-point star. The column of rods means union of all Cubans; the star is the maximum expression of liberty.

The ornamentation of the coat of arms is finished, always visible from the front, and border from left to right a wreath of evergreen, which represents the peace, and another of laurel, that represents the victory, outlining the coat of arms.

The coat of arms, born in conjunction with the Republic, was ratified by the Constitution of 1940. Its original design, in debt to the patriot Miguel Teurbe Tolón, survived few modifications. It was Tolón, nourished by patriotic impulses, who designed a coat of arms to be taken to the forefront from a nobleman gesture in a bellicose attitude, and later in time to the premiere of the Republic.

the top portion of the shield seems to have a skeleton key with a sun rising over it. the lower right side has what looks kinda like a palm tree. and the left side has diaganol stripes. above the shield there is a helmet on a stick i think.

That is the cuban shield....hmmm.
If no one on here can help, I'll try to get you in contact with a couple military collectors.

Wow..thanks for the info desert rat and you seem to have hit the nail on the head as far as what it is.

Grateful1 I would appreciate it as I have no idea as to what it would be worth or anything.

Wow..thanks for the info desert rat and you seem to have hit the nail on the head as far as what it is.

I collect coins and have Cuban coins that have that shield on them. Easy to identify ;)

I collect coins and have Cuban coins that have that shield on them. Easy to identify ;)

I used to collect coins as well. So, I immediately recognized the Cuban Coat of arms. Thing is, the coins were dirt cheap about 10 years ago. Now mint state examples command respectable premiums. :thumbs:

Stevehawk was down there for it... he might be able to give you even more info... Me? I was circling up in the air in a C-130 with the rest of my brigade ready to head to Europe if Russia decided to do something stupid over the invasion.

We were up in the air for over 16 hours and it sucked.

BTW this link you might find interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernized_Lo...rying_Equipment

*edit* And no we were not all up in one plane :p

Stevehawk was down there for it... he might be able to give you even more info... Me? I was circling up in the air in a C-130 with the rest of my brigade ready to head to Europe if Russia decided to do something stupid over the invasion.

We were up in the air for over 16 hours and it sucked.

BTW this link you might find interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernized_Lo...rying_Equipment

*edit* And no we were not all up in one plane :p

Sorry, no help from me on this one. My team was holed up in the telephone exchange in St. George's for the duration. We "monitored" all the calls made on the island because the Cubans were not using radios. We thought maybe they were using the regular phone for communications.

Interesting historical tidbit (to me anyway): The phone exchange was in the middle of a complete remodel by the East Germans when we landed. I still have a German field phone that was left behind when they skidaddled. It was far superior in workmanship to the models that we were using at the time.

Good luck on finding more about your item!

So what do you guys think this is worth?? I mean I don't want to not put a reserve on it and it sells for 5 bucks and ath and the same time i don't want to expect too muc it not sell at all.

So what do you guys think this is worth?? I mean I don't want to not put a reserve on it and it sells for 5 bucks and ath and the same time i don't want to expect too muc it not sell at all.

Don't put a reserve on it -- it is worth close to nothing to quite a bit, depending on the buyer. PM me the auction URL when it goes up, I might be interested in bidding too.

LOL I'm missing some letters in there.

Well it's listed. Hope you don't mind but I stole your info about the shiled DesertRat lol

Sucks, it's been so long since I have used ebay that I couldn't remeber my log in info so I had to start a new account the other day. :(

I've seen quite a few Cubans in the field in the years prior to Grenada. Never saw one wearing one of these. Might be a dress uniform item.