• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looks like more BS we have to put up with!

What BS? Unless you smoke a brand of cigarette that is not made by Philip Morris, this legislation will have very little impact on the average cigar smoker. The only people that are going to be hurt by this legislation are small cigarette manufacturers who don't have the money to hire firms to lobby the FDA.

I guess it also hurts those of us who got hooked on candy cigarettes as kids. I started pretending to smoke at the age of seven, you know, just so I could fit in with the other kids on the tire swing. Next thing you know I'm 30 and have a three pack a day habit. In fact, I better run out to the dollar store and stock up before the President signs this bill and they pull all the supply off the market.

What BS? Unless you smoke a brand of cigarette that is not made by Philip Morris, this legislation will have very little impact on the average cigar smoker. The only people that are going to be hurt by this legislation are small cigarette manufacturers who don't have the money to hire firms to lobby the FDA.

I guess it also hurts those of us who got hooked on candy cigarettes as kids. I started pretending to smoke at the age of seven, you know, just so I could fit in with the other kids on the tire swing. Next thing you know I'm 30 and have a three pack a day habit. In fact, I better run out to the dollar store and stock up before the President signs this bill and they pull all the supply off the market.

I always preferred the bubble gum cigarettes. You could blow through them and make "smoke" with the cornstarch used to keep the wrapper from sticking. :)

It appears this legislation only includes cigarettes, RYO, "little cigars", and smokeless tobacco. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

The "camel nose under the edge of the tent" aspect does give me pause, but such is the way of the world these days.

I hope it doesn't affect my purchasing of Snus (Swedish dipping tobacco) as I have been using it for 2 years and it helped keep the pack a day cigarette habit at bay. It actually is safer than cigs, has been around for hundreds of years, and doesn't irritate my gums. But hey, it's a free country to do whatever form of nicotine you want, and I have 28 years under my belt smoking.
I buy overseas so I'll just have to pay the 3% that Visa charges for International purchases, same as CC's.

I don't think that tells the whole story. I heard they are going to regulate the amount of nicotine tobaccos can contain. I don't know if it will effect cigars or not. I'm sure there's all sorts of fine print injected in this deal. I'm sure there's a monetary motivation somewhere in this new legislation that will cost us something. :angry:

I don't think that tells the whole story. I heard they are going to regulate the amount of nicotine tobaccos can contain. I don't know if it will effect cigars or not. I'm sure there's all sorts of fine print injected in this deal. I'm sure there's a monetary motivation somewhere in this new legislation that will cost us something. :angry:

I have not read the legislation, but I have traded emails with someone who read the House version. It looks like the regulations over content of tobacco products will be limited to cigarettes and other products that are not 100% constructed of pure tobacco. Essentially this is supposed to keep tobacco manufactures from adding anything to the tobacco, such as extra nicotine.

I am not sure if anything in the legislation specifically calls out cigar manufactures, but assuming that they have to follow the same procedures as cigarette manufactures, this will mean that they will have to disclose to the FDA what is in their product. It's not clear if that means revealing the make up of blend, or simply saying "Honduran grown tobacco leaf." There will also be administration fees that manufacturers will have to pay to the FDA, which I assume will be passed on to the consumer.

My biggest beef with this is the nicotine content clause, when someone is forced to smoke "light" cigarettes they have to smoke more to get their fix, and end up inhaling much more harmfull substances to get said fix. It also makes them have to smoke more cigarettes which gives Philip Morris more money.

The whole thing makes me want to vomit.

My biggest beef with this is the nicotine content clause, when someone is forced to smoke "light" cigarettes they have to smoke more to get their fix, and end up inhaling much more harmfull substances to get said fix. It also makes them have to smoke more cigarettes which gives Philip Morris more money.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Everyone is going to complain that this is just another push by the anti-smoking groups to ban tobacco altogether, but everything that is coming out about this legislation seems to indicate that is simply going to strengthen Philip Morris's market share, and could lead to a monopoly in the American cigarette market. In essence, this bill is a bailout for Philip Morris.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Everyone is going to complain that this is just another push by the anti-smoking groups to ban tobacco altogether, but everything that is coming out about this legislation seems to indicate that is simply going to strengthen Philip Morris's market share, and could lead to a monopoly in the American cigarette market. In essence, this bill is a bailout for Philip Morris.
Incrementalism is a dangerous tool that's been used for decades. Baby steps are often more effective than one giant leap.

My main concern is this legislation in tandem with some sort of new health care initiative. The door has been opened for some pretty intrusive policy.