• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Losing weight?

Big Slim Junior

Anybody else working on dropping poundage? The wife and I, along with some friends, have decided that we all need to lose some weight. I know what you're thinking, "but BSJ, you're the best looking man o' the blues." That's true, but I reached a point of having too much to love. So far I've dropped 63lbs in the last 6 months. The wife is down 40lbs and another friend is down 37lbs.

No Atkins, no South Beach, no little pills. The wife dragged me into Weight Watchers last summer. It felt like going to rehab. The meetings are a kind of hokey, but having to weigh in every week has kept me honest. That said, I had a moment of clarity today that made me realize that I'm really feeling better... physically and mentally.

My job has me on the run most of the day so I was patronizing the fast food joints on a regular basis. It's surprising to find out that two meals at Mickey D's is more food than I should have all day. Add to that: dinner, a few Dews, and various snacks and you put on a ton of weight.

Anyway, I still have a long way to go, but I think it'll stick this time around.

PS - I also attribute part of my weight loss success to smoking fine cigars. :)

Hey, way to go Big Slim! Your going to have to rename yourself to Small Slim Junior!

Yeh, I'm trying for a new job and put myself on the Atkins diet and started working out. I'm only trying to loose 15, so I wish you the best!! :thumbs:

I started the Atkins deal about a year ago and lost almost 30 lbs (196 down to 170).

Aktins really isn't just a diet, it's pretty much a "lifestyle" change so to speak, avoiding carb, etc. I found that it worked very well as I've pretty much been able to keep the weight off. Winter is a little tough, I think I may be pushing 178 or so but I'm going to get back to pure "induction" stage again in February to get back to 170.

I noticed that I felt a lot better and it sure is nice to have the clothes FIT instead of being too tight ;)

I managed to take off 45 lbs in the past year. No red meat, no dark meat poultry. Lots of salad, chicken and turkey breast and fish. No rice, potatoes, pasta. Small quantity of low fat whole wheat bread. Red wine with dinner. Gym workouts 3x a week. Feel great. Lost 4" in the waist. Developed muscles that went dormant a long time ago. My wife also is on the same program and lost 40 lbs at the same time. I am looking to loose 25 lbs more by summer.

Keep it up guys, it's the healthiest thing you can do...... :D :thumbs: :p

I'll pitch in a little hint here. The is absolutely, positively only one way to lose weight:

You burn off fewer calories than you take in.

That's it. All of the various diets are either bogus, or they accomplish the objective of taking in fewer calories than you burn off. Obviously, combining some kind of exercise (burning off more) with better eating habits will make it much easier to lose weight.

Your body reflects your lifestyle; if you want to change how your body looks, you'll have to change your lifestyle, in terms of what you eat, how active you are, etc.

moki hit the nail on the head.

for me the most important thing is being consistent in doing resistance training. hit the weights 3x per week and you will be healthier.

another thing is to remember not to focus so much on the number of pounds you weigh but also what makes up that weight.

mucle weighs more than fat so it is possible to lose inches but not lose weight. it's more important to lose inches around your waist than to lose weight.

Moki that's pretty much it. I have dieted, all kinds, trust me, for 21 years. Low carb, no carb, regular carb, calorie counting, etc and the ONE thing that helps is activity. Even when I wasnt limiting the carb intake, I was exercising EVERY day and got the weight off just as I did with the times I did the low to no carb diets with exercise. Of course in the end, it got to the point that I felt surgery was my best option and haven't regretted it since.

I am also a firm believer that limiting red meat might be a small help, but very little. For me, since I had gastric bypass surgery, red meat is one of the meats that does GOOD things for me. Helps with iron too. And you are a better person than me if you can stomach chicken and turkey 24 hrs a day. *shudder*

CONGRATS on your weight loss guys! I know I feel a LOT better...funny how 170 lbs can "weigh" you down...course sometimes in the freezing cold i miss the extra padding for a second ;-)

melly

I dropped 20 pounds since 12/26, 12 of which were before I started the South Beach Diet on 1/5 with no diet changes. But, since going on the South Beach diet I have not only lost a few more pounds, I look and feel better. I don't follow it to a "T", as I snack every now and then and had a McDonald's burger yesterday, just no fries, salad instead. I don't exercise and really don't do much other activities besides playing with the kids. I was 175 and am now 155 and have been holding steady at the 155 mark for a couple of weeks now. I'd like to get 5 more pounds off and then I would be back to my college days weight.

Yes, I too am loosing weight..So far lost 50 pounds over the last year..I am down to 280 now and attempting to get to my college weight of 245..I'm 6 ft 3 and a half inches tall and mostly losing to help relieve back and knee pain..Not on a diet per-se..I have had my fill of them..I am just eating healthier meals more often durring the day..I also drink almost a gallon of water a day which helps..I do have my moments where I just eat whatever I wish though..

Scooby

I've been fat my whole life, except during my early twenties when I was a 36 waist and a shocking 15.5-16 shirt size (those were the days). At my heaviest point I was 390lbs, 5x shirt, 56 waist pants! :0

My wife and I had heard and read about the atkins/low carb diets... and while watching an episode of King of Queens one night on mid october 2003, and the lead guy (doug) lost sooo much weight on the low carb program, I turned to her and said, I've got to try this... So the following day we started the low carb craze.... so since mid october (say the 15th'ish anyway)... a little over 3 months I've lost about 55lbs, I'm down to a 3x shirt, and 54 waist pants are loose- I'm tightening my belts to a notch I never used before! :D While I'm still a huge guy, I'm down from GINORMOUS to Huge :p. Honestly, I'm very excited and proud of what I've accomplished. like I said, I'm still a fat person- but hopefully by next year I'll be at my target weight/size- I'm about 5'10 and would like to be about 250lbs, which should put me somewhere around 44-46 waist, XL to 1X shirt. And I'll be able to buy clothes anywhere, and I'll feel even better than I do now!!!! :D

Basically we havnt changed our "lifestyle" any (excercise, or whatever), just eat as few carbs as possible (under 20 a day) we actually eat MORE than before. My wife, who is 5'7 and whose weight I will not say because if I do, CP will loose Toaster as a member due to my death :p, has lost 4 sizes (maybe a little more).

We both feel amazingly better, she looks amazing and hot ;), I've still got a looooong way to go, but I've got my feet on the right path, the weight is coming off (slower now than before, now about 2lbs a week, vs 3-4 lbs a week in the beginning). But I'm impressed and so is she. all activities are better (ALL activites ;)) and easier too, just walking around the mall, up and down stairs, bending over to pull up my boots or tie my shoe's... it sounds funny, but fat people know its true.

I salute you BSJ, and all of you who have lost weight... I know how hard it is to do... These naturally skinny people just dont understand! And they don't know how mentally frustrating it can be and how mentally tough it is... I DO! so I salute you all!

GREAT WORK EVERYBODY!

:thumbs: Toaster

Interesting thread. I have to comment on what Moki said about calories in and out. It's absolutely true. However (you knew that was coming :p ) certain foods slow down your metabolism and certain foods speed up your metabolism. So you can actually burn more or less calories based on your food intake. This is the primary reason why Low Carb works so well. It turns your body into a fat burning machine. This is a proven fact. In short - Protein good, Fat good, Fiber good, Water good - Carbohydrates bad. Believe it.

But I also believe whatever works for you is great. I would never put down anyone's diet or lifestyle plan. It's all good. 'nuf said...

I could probably get into an all out flame debate over this topic...but frankly, I'm built like a Greek god...so what's the point? :p LMAO

lucasbuck said:
Interesting thread. I have to comment on what Moki said about calories in and out. It's absolutely true. However (you knew that was coming :p ) certain foods slow down your metabolism and certain foods speed up your metabolism. So you can actually burn more or less calories based on your food intake. This is the primary reason why Low Carb works so well. It turns your body into a fat burning machine. This is a proven fact. In short - Protein good, Fat good, Fiber good, Water good - Carbohydrates bad. Believe it.
It is true that Protein is somewhat more difficult for your body to break down and convert to fat than carbs are. However the main reason people lose weight on the various "low carb" diets is that they are able to eat foods that they find filling and satisfying, so they don't cheat on the diet as much, and thus indeed do take in fewer calories then they burn off.

But of course, each person should do whatever works for them. Anyone who is dieting would do well to make little lifestyle changes: take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go for a walk for at least 40 minutes, ever other day. And so on and so forth.

A final note on Atkins: it isn't a healthy way to eat. If it helps you lose weight, then by all means, do it. But once you have that weight off, switch to a healthy, balanced diet, with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. High protein diets are extremely hard on your liver and kidneys, which is okay for a little while, but it is not a proper, healthy way to eat for the rest of your life.

Wow. It's good to know there's a few of us out there working on this. For me, I'm enjoying WW. I still get to eat stuff I like, just not as much. The wife and I also plan our week so we can have a night out (drinks, etc) and still stay within the plan.

I was actually considering gastric bypass surgery. I went to the informational meeting where they try to scare off the weak. Well, they scared me off. First, I would've had to drop 80+ pounds just to have the surgery. They're radiology equipment only supports up to 350lbs (I was 436lbs). Second, I didn't like the idea of needing supplements the rest of my life. Third, beer. I like it. :) Ultimately, I figured that if had had to lose that much anyway, I could just as well keep going.

I'm 6'-3" and was 296lbs in HS. Biggest lineman in our conference in 1978. I actually had my stomach stapled in 1980 and I got down to 250lbs, but I love food and alcohol.

My 25th reunion is in August so I'm hoping to get down to or near three bills by then. I would guess that if I do get down there, I'll have less weight gain vs my HS weight than some of the honies I graduated with. :D

Melly - How do you feel after having the bypass? How long ago did you do it?

I started the South Beach diet on Jan. 1. So far, I've lost 16 pounds!

I have started using the treadmill 3-4 times a week and will also do some freeweight stuff when I'm at work.

Diet and lifestyle change is good, but without exercise, you won't lose that much!

TheBeast said:
I could probably get into an all out flame debate over this topic...but frankly, I'm built like a Greek god...so what's the point? :p LMAO
ROTFLMAO!!!!

JoeInvest said:
I come by my handsome, sculpted self just by being me! :sign:
ME TOO!!!
pb.jpg