• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Louisville, Ky cigar event last night, Carly Rae's is cool

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
The MRS and I were invited to a cigar event last night held at Carly Rae's a restaurant in Louisville, KY at the corner of 1st and Oak. Super nice restaurant with a very large patio (brick paved, trees, water foutains, jazz band, etc.). Louisville has a smoking ban so all second class citizens must eat outdoors if they want to smoke.

They had a Bourbon tasting, some yummy meatballs, fuit and cheese plate and buffalo chicken strips. I don't like buffalo sauce so no review pending on the chicken.

The bourbon was Jefferson, Jefferson Reserve and Sam Houston. I don't drink but the concensus was the Jefferson was best, Jefferson Reserve was second and the Sam Houston has to much spicy flavors and too hot to suit the crowd at our table.

Big Dave ordered a Marlin dish with watermelon salsa, I stole a bite (very risky stealing food from Big Dave!) and it was damn good. The MRS ordered sassy chicken, which turned out to be a fried chicken breast with bacon and a mild sauce, it was really tasty also.

I ate the free stuff.

Everybody else was really happy with their food, buffalo burgers got good reviews, chocolate chip bread pudding and chocolate mousse were a hit. I tasted the Calimari appetizer and it was good.

The cigar event was hosted by the Pan American cigar company and although I didn't get any details, they maybe rolling cigars in Louisville, KY. If they aren't currently, the word was they were bring rollers in from Cuba.

The event started at 7 PM and they had two boxes of cigars both mild. I being a complete whore looking for anything and everything free, was the first one to walk over so I asked the girl about the cigars and when she told me they were mild, I declined because I like full bodied cigars and I had some good stuff in my man purse. The guy in charge overheard and told her to go get a box of full bodied cigars out of the humidor.

She carried the cigars around to each table, you wrote you name and email address on a sheet and she gave you a cigar.

I chose a full bodied cigar and I have to appologize, I had the MRS get one and I saved it so I could tell you the name on the cigar but I can't find it. The cigar started out bad, like right on the edge of nasty and then as it burned, it improved to mediocre. I smoked it on down to the nub and by the time my fingers started getting hot, it had made it all the way to average. Most of the guys at our table (8 guys, 6 women) chose the milder cigar that is a new release and the guy in charge was quick to tell me that Pan American Cigars was the only place you could get those cigars. Of the six guys that chose this cigar, nobody finished smoking it. I don't think any made it halfway.

Earlier, I had thought it unusual when the guy in charge told the girl to go get full bodied cigars from ther humidor, but that became clear after I went inside the restaurant. The restaurant consists of three sections. A bar, a lounge area with leather sofas and chairs and the dining area. I guess I should say four areas because the patio is really large and quite nice. The lounge had a humidor with a decent selection of smokes, several boxes of which were Pan American cigars.

Carly Rae's has a house brand of cigar and I am making an assumption that Pan American Cigar company is the supplier.

Clif notes:

Carly Rae's at 1st and Oak rocks. Nice facility and good food.

Pan American cigars are not my new favorite.