• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lounges in Tokyo

Gonz

Ultra Runner
I'm heading to Tokyo (and Kyoto) next week and am looking for recommendations on a lounge or two.  Naturally I checked The Google and came up with quite a few recommendations from the cigar gurus at Tripadvisor :rolleyes:  so I'm hoping a few of you may have some more insight into my best bet.

Thanks!

Can't  help you, but if you're looking for Turkey bars in Okinawa, I might be able to help you out. :whistling:

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Can't  help you, but if you're looking for Turkey bars in Okinawa, I might be able to help you out. :whistling:

Doc

Might pass that along for a Marine I know that's serving there.  Good turkey is often hard to find..... :laugh:

I'm afraid to Google "Turkey bars in Okinawa" at work  :laugh:

bfreebern said:

Me too...

Slips cell phone out of pocket...

My google fu is week, no returns...

BlindedByScience said:

Doc

Might pass that along for a Marine I know that's serving there.  Good turkey is often hard to find..... :laugh:

They're not called Turkey bars anymore. I think it's, buy me drinkee bars, now. Anyway, they're still populated by Gobblers. ;)

bfreebern said:

Googled at work since I own the business, something called "juicy" bars showed up and they have been declared off-limits in Stars n Stripes in some places like Korea.  Also a Turkish bar in Okinawa. :laugh:

golfgar said:

Googled at work since I own the business, something called "juicy" bars showed up and they have been declared off-limits in Stars n Stripes in some places like Korea.  Also a Turkish bar in Okinawa. :laugh:
lol.... good to be the king...

Here are some places that I go to:

1.  TwentyEight (Conrad Hotel Lounge) - Beautiful lounge on the 28th floor with a view of the Tokyo skyline.  They sell cigars there as well.  A must visit!

2.  Le Connaisseur Ginza - Nice cozy dimly lit lounge with a bar in the back.  Has a library type feel.  A few small private areas to smoke in.  Retail store is in the front and you have to walk through it to see the lounge.

3.  Le Connaisseur Marunouchi Building - A lot of businessmen go here after work.  Connected to a shopping complex and hotel.  A good place to smoke while waiting for the wife.

4.  Le Connaisseur Prince Hotel Takanawa - Down in the basement below the lobby. Good sized lounge and bar open until 4 or 5am. 

Nearly every upscale hotel has a bar or lounge you can smoke in.  Many of them sell cigars.  Interestingly, the prices in every shop and every lounge is exactly the same as the government controls the pricing.

When I was in Kyoto a couple years ago I smoked in an Irish Pub near Gion and the River. I didn't smoke while I lived in Tokyo.

mc808, thanks for the info, that's super helpful.

Turkey bars?  Is that something I should bring my wife to?

I wouldn't take mine. What fun would that be?

Doc

Gonz said:
Turkey bars?  Is that something I should bring my wife to?
That is the type of place you go to get away from the wife.

mc808 said:

Nearly every upscale hotel has a bar or lounge you can smoke in.  Many of them sell cigars.  Interestingly, the prices in every shop and every lounge is exactly the same as the government controls the pricing.

Curious, how's the pricing in general?  Not that I'm planning on stocking up while there, but it would be nice to know what to expect and how many of my own I should bring.

Also, for those that have been, is there any unusual etiquette or protocols one should know about smoking cigars in Japan?

Japan prices are on the high side.

Monte 2 2300 yen
Monte 4 1400 yen
Cohiba Robusto 3400 yen
Bolivar Belicoso 2600 yen

Home from a great trip!  Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.  Here's three notable places I visited for a cigar:

Park Hyatt Hotel - New York Bar:  Up on the 52nd floor overlooking Shinjuku and the rest of the city, an amazing place for a cigar and an excellent selection of fine Scotches and Bourbons.  A tad on the pricey side, it's very upscale, and after 8pm they charge a cover (around 2000 Yen) for live music, usually light jazz.  There's a super nice restaurant attached, the New York Grill.

Ace Cafe (Kyoto) - 10th floor bar overlooking the Gion District, just of Sanjo-dori overlooking the river.  A little less refined, more of an edgy place for a hip, younger crowd.  Cigar friendly but not enthusiastic about it, I wasn't sure if they were just being polite and accommodating or if they really allow cigar smoking.  There's plenty of smoking in general going on so as usual why not cigars, right?    Decent drink menu, for example I was able to have a moderately priced Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve here.

Twenty-Eight (Conrad Hotel Tokyo) - Great location in Shiodome, high up with a great view of the bay.  Excellent drink menu featuring all the big names as well as several different Scotch flight offerings.  Pricing was about what you'd expect from an upscale bar in an upper end hotel like that.  Certainly cigar friendly with a few offerings of their own, although I didn't check cigar prices or what their stock was.  Very glad to have been recommended this one, thanks mc808!