• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Low proof bourbon?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Another stupid question from a bourbon rookie.

As I trundle through my bourbon upbringing, I notice that the vapors in my nose often over-ride and mute the flavors on my tongue. For example, Weller 107 has some incredible flavors but often by the time the stinging vapors are gone, so is the flavor. I only rarely get the delicious flavors.

Maybe I drink it wrong or maybe I just need to try lower proof bourbons?

You're not supposed to snort bourbon, most people I know sip it...

I had found (when I was able to drink Bourbon) that swirling it in the glass (like red wine) helps to get rid of the stinging vapors you're experiencing. Another thing I did was add a single ice cube, I know a there are a lot of people out there that would say this is sacrilegious, but I found that it helped open up the flavors and mellowed the vapors too.

You're not supposed to snort bourbon, most people I know sip it...

I had found (when I was able to drink Bourbon) that swirling it in the glass (like red wine) helps to get rid of the stinging vapors you're experiencing. Another thing I did was add a single ice cube, I know a there are a lot of people out there that would say this is sacrilegious, but I found that it helped open up the flavors and mellowed the vapors too.
Well I'll be damned! You learn something new every day!

I put a tiny piece of ice in my bourbon because I want to break it but I don't want to delude it too much.

I just wish I could find a way around the stinging vapors.

I find that swirling like wine for a few seconds then sipping after a few more does help with the vapors. Although I rarely get vapors that sting I actually enjoying the aroma you just should not get too close to the glass itself

When it comes to ice. I am of the mindset that only very large ice cube should be used. That way it takes much longer for it to melt vs a small one will melt right away and dilute the drink. Also ice will make the drink cold and not as flavorful so all depends on what you are drinking and how much flavor you enjoy

Four roses straight bourbon is pretty mild no burn to speak of. Kind of sweet on the palate

Another stupid question from a bourbon rookie.

As I trundle through my bourbon upbringing, I notice that the vapors in my nose often over-ride and mute the flavors on my tongue. For example, Weller 107 has some incredible flavors but often by the time the stinging vapors are gone, so is the flavor. I only rarely get the delicious flavors.

Maybe I drink it wrong or maybe I just need to try lower proof bourbons?
I don’t know anything, but I’ve been finding a dash or five of bitters seems to take the alcohol sharpness away. YMMV.

Y’all gotta remember we are dealing with a man that drinks screwball and likes it!

Instead of an ice cube throw in a teaspoon of water. Swirl it around. It opens up the aroma and mutes the “heat” of the bourbon. Ice cube does the same but you have to wait for it to melt a little bit to get the effect. Are you only trying this with Weller?

Try smoking a cigar, the smoke may help ward off any fumes that give you the vapors.

Instead of an ice cube throw in a teaspoon of water. Swirl it around. It opens up the aroma and mutes the “heat” of the bourbon. Ice cube does the same but you have to wait for it to melt a little bit to get the effect. Are you only trying this with Weller?

Yep. I keep a room temp bottle of spring water in the bar for exactly that. Added bonus: I get it directly from a Chippewa Falls spring.. fresh, clean, crisp. Opens bourbon fully and gracefully.