• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lucky I live in Hawaii

Fia

Many people think that those of us who lives in Hawaii go surfing everyday, hang out at the beach, etc. However, just like everywhere else we have bills (probably higher than most) we have to pay, families to raise, etc. Between working three jobs, my kids sports, etc, etc I have little time to stop and enjoy what Hawaii has to offer. Its funny but tourists usually do more things when they visit than the locals. I have never taken a helicopter over a volcano or went on a diving excursion.

Well I think the stars aligned yesterday. Got up early, took the boys down to a special beach and went fishing. Here is how crowded the beach was when we got there:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa266/jonfia/PC220001.jpg

Set up on the right side of the cove, put some shrimp on a hook and let the boys fish. My youngest caught his first fish - a weke (goat fish). I sat in my chair and fired up a 10 year old El Rico Habano Club (wonderful smoke btw) and drank my coffee. After a couple hours of fishing, we all went swimming and snorkeling to hang out with the 3 or 4 resident sea turtles and check out all the other tropical fish swimming around. The water was crystal clear. Ended up staying half the day.

After that, I took my older son to his Junior Golf practice. Fired up another stick (AF Don Carlos) and relaxed while he practiced. When we got home in the late afternoon, we decided to have an impromptu BBQ with some of the neighbors. Threw some steaks on the grill and had the neighbors over. Started talking about rum and decided to break out my last bottle of the original Zaya. Shared that with the neighbors along with some good conversation and good food.

It was a long day. Was I tired? Yes Did I have fun? Yes Lucky I live in Hawaii? For sure. :)

Are "Just another shitty day in paradise" stickers still out there?

Sounds like you had a better day than most of the tourists.

Sounds like a great day! Glad you found some time to enjoy yourself man.

I used to love going to Hapuna beach on the big island about 40 miles north(?) of Kona. Quiet, always sunny and not a very touristy place. then someone went and built a huge mega-resort next door and ruined the tranquility.

I used to love going to Hapuna beach on the big island about 40 miles north(?) of Kona. Quiet, always sunny and not a very touristy place. then someone went and built a huge mega-resort next door and ruined the tranquility.

That happens here on Oahu too. That cove is actually near the Ko Olina resort on the leeward side. They have to provide public access, yada, yada, yada. However, the parking lot will only accommodate about 10 cars and there is no other place within reasonable walking distance to park so it limits the amount of people who can use it. Even by 12 noon on a Sunday nonetheless, there were only about 4 families using the beach. There were a few divers that go through the channel to go spear fishing and thats it. Basically either get there early or get there late in the afternoon which is good for fishing anyway if you want to get a parking stall. Funny thing is that although there are other popular beaches nearby, many people including locals dont even know about the place. I think Im gonna find my way over there this friday pau hana (after work) for some cold ones and a stick while I watch the sunset! :thumbs: For a while, I really was getting caught up in the rat race. I realized that I need to slow down a little and have some QT with myself and more importantly with my family. Time just moves too quickly. I only get to experience my kids childhood only once. My oldest is going to middle school next year. Seems like yesterday was his first day of preschool!