• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macallan Cask Strength Review

rbbrock

Well, I just picked up this bottle of Macallan Cask Strength, so I thought I'd give it a try and post my thoughts for you fine folks. This is a 58.5% version, 750 mL, that I picked up at my local for $60.00. Incidentally, there is a thread of others' thoughts on this scotch here.

Two important facts to keep in mind with this whisky: (1) it is matured solely in sherry casks, giving it a strong sherry character; and (2) It is unchillfiltered, allowing many flavor-enhancing oils and compounds to remain in the whisky. These two facts result in the whisky having a strong sherry flavor that I very much enjoy. If you don't like sherried scotch you will not like this. But, if you don't like sherried scotch, why are you reading a review of any Macallan whisky? This is the quintessential sherried Speyside scotch!

The whisky pours a very nice reddish-gold in the glass. The initial aroma is of alcohol (naturally, considering its high proof), but once that dissipates it becomes a very strong sherry smell, with a sort of chemical, rubbery aroma fading in and out and a sweet floral/perfumey background. The taste is of very strong sherry and fruitiness, followed by a high alcohol kick (the same taste I get from overproof vodka - just plain alcohol). The finish is very hot, very long, and stays with the strong sherry and fruit flavors, fading into a tannic bitterness. Frankly, at full proof the flavors and aromas are too concentrated for me to even begin to pick them apart, so I recommend adding a little water for maximum enjoyment.

Adding enough water to bring the proof down to 90 or so really opens this whisky up and makes it much more enjoyable. In the aroma, the floweriness comes to the fore, with honey, malt, oak, citrus, and a hint of peat smoke all making appearances. The flavor retains its strong sherry influence, but a winey acidity (tannin) comes in as well, reminding me of the skin of a not-quite-ripe plum. I also get hints of raisins and wood once in a while. The finish is not as long as when undiluted, but still fairly long and much more enjoyable. It starts sweet, dominated by the sherry, with an overripe fruit flavor, eventually changing to dry, spicy, and woody, until it's gone and you take the next sip.

All in all, a very tasty whisky, with a huge nose and intriguing shifts between its sweet start and dry finish. In my opinion, well worth the step up from the young standard proof versions. I have not tasted the older versions, so I can't say how it would compare to those, but if you like very sherried whisky this is a wonderful dram.

I had a couple of fingers of this last night. I have to agree, much better diluted, which I seldom do with scotch.

Enjoyed your review.

Ken

Always good to see reviews from others. I'll get to this sometime. Thanks for the review.

I had a couple of fingers of this last night. I have to agree, much better diluted, which I seldom do with scotch.
I pretty much always add water to bring cask strength whisky down to around 90 proof, otherwise it's just too closed off and the alcohol is too overpowering for me. Standard proof scotch (40-46% or so) I generally add a couple of drops only, as it seems to open the aromas up a bit.
Enjoyed your review.
Always good to see reviews from others. I'll get to this sometime. Thanks for the review.

Thanks, and you're welcome! I have six new bottles on the way from Sam's Wine, so I will be adding reviews of those over the next few weeks.

Nice review! Can you elaborate a little on what sherry tastes like? I have never had a sherried scotch but love their color in the bottle. Thanks

Nice review! Can you elaborate a little on what sherry tastes like? I have never had a sherried scotch but love their color in the bottle. Thanks

I'm afraid I can't help you out much here Marcos, as I have very little experience with sherry. What I can tell you is what scotch aged in sherry barrels tastes like (to me, anyway) - much more fruity and winey than other scotches, and I find the fruit is generally sweeter in sherry-aged scotch (e.g. plums and raisins rather than apples and citrus).

Hopefully someone with more experience drinking sherry can chip in here with some thoughts.

Sherry is a fortified wine made a number of different ways. Macallan uses Oloroso sherry casks. Oloroso sherry is a stronger style that is basically wine fortified with brandy at the end of fermentation until the alcohol is great enough that the fermenting yeast can no longer grow.

Tastes are hard to explain so it might be easier if you went out and got a bottle of SPANISH (only) sherry and tried it. It will keep for some time after opening so you don't have to drink it all in a day or even a month or two. Or even better, buy a mini bottle of Macallan 12 for about $2.50 and give that a try.

I went out and bought a bottle of Macallan 12 for around fifty bucks and had a few glasses last night. I still use some ice and added a small amount of water which some has said will open up the sherry characteristics more or something like that. I found the scotch to be more complex the the Oban 14 I was drinking last week with a deeper character. While I didn't taste any specific fruits it was "fruitier" that the Oban as well. Both were heads and shoulders above the JW Black that I have been drinking as of late but I don't feel bad mixing the JW with some ice and water like I do with a single malt. The thought of drinking warm scotch is still not appealing to me. I will keep trying though and I just picked up some more Advil so I am ready to go!

I went out and bought a bottle of Macallan 12 for around fifty bucks and had a few glasses last night. I still use some ice and added a small amount of water which some has said will open up the sherry characteristics more or something like that. I found the scotch to be more complex the the Oban 14 I was drinking last week with a deeper character. While I didn't taste any specific fruits it was "fruitier" that the Oban as well. Both were heads and shoulders above the JW Black that I have been drinking as of late but I don't feel bad mixing the JW with some ice and water like I do with a single malt. The thought of drinking warm scotch is still not appealing to me. I will keep trying though and I just picked up some more Advil so I am ready to go!

With standard proof scotch I never use more than a few drops of water (literally, just a few drips from a spoon or something). I don't know why this works, but it usually does make a noticeable difference in the aroma, for me anyway. And there is no need to apologize for drinking it on the rocks. Anyone who insists that you are "wrong" is a moron, as everyone has different tastes and if that's how you like your whisky then go ahead and drink it. That being said, when the whisky is cold the flavor and aroma will be muted somewhat. And I despise having ice melt in my drinks and diluting everything.

Don't drink and take advil. Awful hard on the liver.

Doc.

Too true. I'd much rather have a headache for a few hours than have my liver fail.

My last statement was more in jest than anything else although I have taken some Advil for a hangover before. Thanks for the health tip though :thumbs: I have always enjoyed all alcohol cold though. My usual standby drink is a Stoli or Grey Goose and club soda in a pint glass with lots of ice. I find these very refreshing and a neat Scotch is probably far from refreshing for me right now. I have to teach myself to migrate from the drinking to catch a buzz mentality to having a drink and being able to appreciate the nuances. Thanks

My last statement was more in jest than anything else although I have taken some Advil for a hangover before. Thanks for the health tip though :thumbs: I have always enjoyed all alcohol cold though. My usual standby drink is a Stoli or Grey Goose and club soda in a pint glass with lots of ice. I find these very refreshing and a neat Scotch is probably far from refreshing for me right now. I have to teach myself to migrate from the drinking to catch a buzz mentality to having a drink and being able to appreciate the nuances. Thanks

Well there is no question that neat scotch is not a hot summer thirst quenching drink. When that's what I'm looking for I like something more akin to your vodka and soda - I love a Gordon's and soda with a slice of a key lime squeezed and dropped in. It's a whole different attitude when I drink single malt - it's like smoking a yard 'gar versus smoking a super-premium, one is just for the effect and the other is to appreciate the whole experience. But both definitely have their place!

I finally popped the cork on my bottle last night and I am enjoying another glass tonight as I type this poolside. Being a big fan of the Macallan I'm not sure why I was afraid I wouldn't like this one. Maybe because I was disappointed with the flavor of Aberlour A'Bundah, another cask strength.

I drink almost everything neat but agree this is better with some room temp water added. I got this bottle for $55 and found it for $37.00 so replacing it will be quick. For the record I mixed 3 oz of scotch with 1 oz of Voss water and it seems about right. Maybe you math guys can figure out the ABV? Haha

Thanks for the review!

You basically cut it down to regular Macallan levels. Your's is about 87.5 proof, regular Macallan is 86 proof. Might as well just buy the regular stuff if you keep cutting it that much.

I finally popped the cork on my bottle last night and I am enjoying another glass tonight as I type this poolside. Being a big fan of the Macallan I'm not sure why I was afraid I wouldn't like this one. Maybe because I was disappointed with the flavor of Aberlour A'Bundah, another cask strength.

I drink almost everything neat but agree this is better with some room temp water added. I got this bottle for $55 and found it for $37.00 so replacing it will be quick. For the record I mixed 3 oz of scotch with 1 oz of Voss water and it seems about right. Maybe you math guys can figure out the ABV? Haha

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review!

Wow, that's a great deal! If I may ask, where did you get that price?

Regarding the A'Bunadh, I have a bottle but haven't opened it yet. I've only heard good things, so would you mind telling us what you didn't like about it?

There is a Bevmo in Glendale AZ that is having a price war with a store called Total Wines since they opened up down the street earlier this summer. 2 months ago I got a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 from them for $179.99. I drive by there on my way to Vegas 5-6 times a year.

I have consumed about 1/2 of my bottle of a'bunadh trying it different ways. Neat, on the rocks, with a little water. Apparently I just don't like this one which is odd because I enjoyed everything else I tried in the Aberlour line. I find the flavor to be more like cognac than scotch. Reading everyone elses comments makes me wonder if I got a bad bottle.

There is a Bevmo in Glendale AZ that is having a price war with a store called Total Wines since they opened up down the street earlier this summer. 2 months ago I got a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 from them for $179.99. I drive by there on my way to Vegas 5-6 times a year.

Nice!

I have consumed about 1/2 of my bottle of a'bunadh trying it different ways. Neat, on the rocks, with a little water. Apparently I just don't like this one which is odd because I enjoyed everything else I tried in the Aberlour line. I find the flavor to be more like cognac than scotch. Reading everyone elses comments makes me wonder if I got a bad bottle.

That's interesting. I have not heard anything like that in the reviews I've read. It's too bad you don't like it, but because I'm a selfish bugger I hope you just got a bad bottle and they aren't all like that, because I'm not much of a cognac fan. :sign:

From which batch is your bottle?

Edit: grammar.

Batch #21.

I've never read anything like I experienced either. I even blind taste tested a friend of mine. His guess was Remy Martin XO. I'll leave it resting on the shelf for a year or so and revisit it then.

Back