• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macallan cask strength

mtschust

What is anybod's opinion on this stuff. First scotch purchase and I have heard good things about it. not to strong tasting for its 101 proof strength, so I am told. good with a smoke?

What is anybod's opinion on this stuff. First scotch purchase and I have heard good things about it. not to strong tasting for its 101 proof strength, so I am told. good with a smoke?

It's not a bad scotch, not too peaty and pretty sweet. I bought the holiday gift set for a clean $50, I probably wouldn't have bough the scotch for that price had it not come with the nifty flask and 2 shot glasses.

It's not a bad scotch, not too peaty and pretty sweet. I bought the holiday gift set for a clean $50, I probably wouldn't have bough the scotch for that price had it not come with the nifty flask and 2 shot glasses.

I also just bought a bottle for a friend during the holidays. I've had pretty much all the commonly available vintages of Macallan. In my opinion, the cask strength is good, but doesn't stand out. I would say that for your first buy, save a few bucks go with the Macallan Fine Oak 10 year old. You won't regret it.

I like it but there are a number of others about that price that are good too. I think the Johnnie Walker Green Label is hard to beat for $40-50. YMMV

I like it but there are a number of others about that price that are good too. I think the Johnnie Walker Green Label is hard to beat for $40-50. YMMV

Ditto on the JW Green Label. :thumbs:

I really like the cask strength. It doesn't hurt to add a little water to it. I also have a bottle of JWGreen, and like it too, but there's a big difference.

Haven't had a chance to try the Mac yet but Sazarac is one of my favorites, for a reasonable price you might also want to look into getting a bottle of Bushmills Black Bush. Definitely a good drink with a gar. :D

Gwheato

I guess I'm in minority here, but the Macallan Cask Strength is one of my favorite single malts. It has a very intense flavor and very woody overtones. You will have to like something very full flavored to enjoy it. I haven't had the Fine Oak, but after reading it will go give it a try.

I guess I'm in minority here, but the Macallan Cask Strength is one of my favorite single malts. It has a very intense flavor and very woody overtones. You will have to like something very full flavored to enjoy it. I haven't had the Fine Oak, but after reading it will go give it a try.
No mate you are not in a minority.
It happens to be my Favorite as well
Had a bottle a couple of years ago and loved it. Smooth as silk