• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macanudo Hyde Park Review

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
Until last night, I had not smoked a Macanudo. I started out smoking the hard stuff. I had read too much about Macs being very mild. The cigar for people who don't smoke cigars, etc. For this reason, I never bought one. For some reason, I was ashamed to smoke a Mac. Stupid huh?

Joe.M. was kind enough to send me some to try as a morning smoke. I smoked my first one last night and I couldn't wait to get up this morning and have another with a strong cup of joe.

Macanudo Hyde Park Review
5.50 x 50 Dominican Made
Natural Connecticut Wrapper
Mexican Binder
Mex/DR Filler
JR's Price $3.50ea by the box

I am not sure of the age of this cigar. It is not old enough for the cellophane to turn yellow yet. Maybe Joe.M. knows.

The cigar appeared well made. Veins were plentiful but not huge. There were minimal soft spots found while giving it the Charmin squeeze. The cigar lit easily and burned evenly. The draw is just firm enough to let you know you are doing something. I like them that way. Too easy is as bad as too hard. The ashes held out for about an inch before falling in my lap. I was expecting a longer ash.

Macs are known as the mild cigar. The smoke was not overpowering, so I guess it was mild in that respect. It was not mild in terms of flavor. This stick was chocked full of taste. I tasted wood, nuts, and leather. Sometimes I would get a sweet taste like coffee with cream and sugar. (I was drinking that, so it could have been the actual coffee I was having) I couldn't say if it had nutmeg or anything crazy. I just know the usual flavors. Nothing fancy. The cigar was not at all spicy or sharp in any way. It was not bitter or harsh. Sometimes when smoking the fuller bodied sticks, I get the tar/nicotine build up on my lips and tongue. I did not get this from the Mac. The aroma was really pleasant.

I was very impressed with this stick. I hate that I have let 10+ years of cigar smoking go by without trying one until now. I will definately smoke more of them.

I would have to give this cigar an 88 overall. As a mild morning smoke, I would have to put it in the low 90's. If the veins were less prevalent, add 2-4 more points.

This was a great stick. It will not take the place of a Trinidad or LGC Serie R after a steak dinner but for a morning smoke or to smoke without having to sit down, this is it.

To sum it up, send me all your Mac's. Do not pass go and do not collect $200. My info is in my profile! :D

I smoked a couple Macanudo's in my past and enjoyed them. Always thought of them as a very flavorful smoke (mild to be sure but flavorful). What I didn't like was the price. I always figured I could get a better smoke for the price. So what Macanudo's I did come across I would smoke but go out of my way for.

Until recently. I was gifted in a bomb a Macanudo Robust cigar, not sure if it was a Hyde Par or a Duke of Devon - but along that line of size. I was amazed. Still on the "light" side for me, but had the great Macanudo flavors, cheaper than the other Macanudo lines, and was clearly stronger than the other lines.

The result is that I intend on owning a box of these one day. Maybe not my immediate next box buy or sometime that soon, but I do intend on getting a box someday and putting it in my coolidor. Anyway, all this just to recommend the Macanudo Robust line (not to be mistaken with a Macanduo Robusto LOL).

Sam