• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

mad cigar tunneling!

cryptoking13

I had very bad tunneling on my cigars this year. I noticed Connecticut broadleaf wrappers were the worst. I tried everything: lowering/ increasing humidity, resting for weeks/months, puffing slow/fast but nothing worked. Happened to boxes of liga privadas, the tabernacle, cao session among others with a similar wrapper which would just not combust. A ton of $ wasted on these boxes since I thought it was my fault so I kept lighting them up instead of returning. I am suspecting bad crops throughout the industry.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230331_171502.jpg
    thumbnail_20230331_171502.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
Did you drybox these before you smoked them? I honestly doubt it's bad crops throughout the industry, otherwise it would be happening all over the country.

I'm going to guess user error: Tunneling is the issue we see when the filler tobacco burns faster than the wrapper tobacco, causing a tunnel to form on the inside of the cigar. Tunneling usually occurs because of overly-slow smoking. When a smoker goes a long period of time without puffing on their smoke, the cherry cools, leaving only the core hot.

Cigar tunneling

I had very bad tunneling on my cigars this year. I noticed Connecticut broadleaf wrappers were the worst. I tried everything: lowering/ increasing humidity, resting for weeks/months, puffing slow/fast but nothing worked. Happened to boxes of liga privadas, the tabernacle, cao session among others with a similar wrapper which would just not combust. A ton of $ wasted on these boxes since I thought it was my fault so I kept lighting them up instead of returning. I am suspecting bad crops throughout the industry.

I feel like someone else posted something similar not too long ago... maybe poke around the search feature using "tunneling". Don't remember if a cause was discovered.

Nm.. it was you who posted the same issue before. Maybe stick to that same thread you started:

If you notice it beginning to tunnel, touch up the wrapper with the torch. Shit happens. You can prevent most uneven burns by being attentive and as the “fairy” said, don’t smoke too slow. Good luck.

Floyd T

If this is happening with all of your cigars, it's either a storage issue, or a smoking technique issue. If it were a crop issue, you'd be hearing about it non-stop from all angles of the industry.

I just posted a cigar that had a tunnel... first one I have had in a super long time.... In this case it was a construction anomaly.

But like others have said, if is a consistent problem across brands and purchase locations, I think it warrants a look at how they are stored maybe?

Best of luck figuring this out!