• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Making a humidor, Part 3(glue up)

NiteSeer

The glue phase of woodworking is a nerve racking process. I will practice putting the pieces together three or four times(no glue). This will save time and eliminate unforseen proplems. Here are the parts that will be glued.
003-3.jpg

and
006.jpg

The following picture is a practice setup. Miters are difficult to line up. To solve this problem I used a web strap because they will apply equal pressure to all corners. Thus, automatically lining up the corners without any problems.
001-3.jpg
The top(tiger wood) floats inside a grove because wood expands, this eliminating cracks in the wood.

Ah, the glue up was successful:
001-2.jpg
The measurements are 15 7/8, 9 3/4, 8"(top to bottom). This more like a humidor chest. Man, I can hold a lot of yummy sticks with this box.

Well, the next phase is to make a lid. I will make the lid by cutting about 1 1/2" from the top. After that I will hinge it and make the inner box. I still have a lot of work to do. Thank you for your interest. GO Mozart!

Ah ha! That's how you're dealing with the expansion, floating top and ply bottom. I knew you weren't over-looking it :p
Very nice too!
Chris

Gorgeous so far brother! Cannot wait for more installments!!

Don

Truly, Truly impressive! Send more pics as you go along.