• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Man Makes Plea Deal In Fake Cuban Cigar Box Case

MJL

Interesting Story!

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16295064.htm

COURTS
Man gets home arrest for selling fake cigars
BY JAY WEAVER
jweaver@MiamiHerald.com

A Hialeah carpenter convicted of selling counterfeit Cuban cigars in a high-stakes trial was sentenced to five months of home confinement on Thursday in federal court in Miami.

Juan Penton, 43, must wear an electronic device to track his movements but can go to work.

In addition, he faces five years of probation and must pay a $7,500 fine.

U.S. District Judge Federico Moreno rejected a prosecutor's request to put him behind bars for five years after Penton, his son and a defense lawyer sought leniency.

''I think the judge imposed an exceedingly fair sentence,'' said defense attorney Jose ''Pepe'' Herrera.

At trial in October, Penton testified he made wooden cigar boxes stamped ''Made in Cuba'' to sell as novelty gifts. A jury found him guilty of selling $3,000 worth of counterfeit cigars in those imitation boxes, concluding he was essentially copying famous Cuban cigar trademarks, such as Montecristo, that are registered in the United States by the nation's largest cigar producer.

The prosecution pitted Penton not only against the U.S. government but also the giant cigar company that funded part of the criminal investigation, Altadis U.S.A., based in Fort Lauderdale.

Herrera accused Altadis of manipulating the Miami-Dade County police investigation, which included an undercover buy of 60 wooden boxes of Dominican-made cigars -- though the boxes read ``Made in Cuba.''

Altadis gave police $3,000 to make the purchase.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Gilfarb said Penton counterfeited Altadis' Cuban cigar brands registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office.

Altadis claims it holds the U.S. trademarks for premium Cuban cigar brands Montecristo, H. Upmann, Por Larranaga, Romeo y Julieta, Saint Luis Rey and Trinidad.

What could be worse than getting busted for selling Cuban fakes? ??? He should be thankful that is all he got, and as for selling them as "novelty" that is complete B.S. It is Jackasses like this that ruin the cigar experience for unsuspecting Noobs or people who might be trying to get a nice gift for a smoker by selling them crap and taking advantage of them! :angry:

Well put! I would only add that it is people like this that insure that virtually every cigar sold in Miami as a "Cuban" is certainly not. I got offered "Cuban" cigars all the time and always turn them down. I am satisfied with my La Gloria Cubana and Padron. I feel no need to feed the vultures when excellent cigars are available right down the street.

You are very fortunate to live near one of great factories like El Credito, and the Padron shop. I started smoking La Gloria's and moved on to other flavors, but besides my obvious favorties the Opus, Padron Anniversary's are a very close second.

I thought all Dominicans, Nicaraguans and Hondurans WERE fake cubans ??? ;)