• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Manitoba flood, 2011

Shamrocker

Sheik Yerbouti
It was just reported yesterday that the two rivers in Winnipeg simultaneously cresting, the flood waters should start receding. With an extremely wet late-summer and autumn, heavy snowfall in the winter, and a fast melt this spring, Manitoba was faced with yet another flood. The two main rivers leading into Winnipeg, the Assiniboine from the west, and the Red from the south, have been swelling and overflowing their banks for the past month or so. A state of emergency has been declared in a number of rural municipalities, with ring dykes and other temporary flood protection barriers built surrounding towns. Close to 100 main provincial roads have been closed and nearly 2000 people have evacuated due to water levels preventing road access.

I snapped this picture today at a park near my house.
IMAG0094.jpg

Just to the left off frame, is a drainage ditch that leads into a small river (at the end of my street), which then empties into the Red. Normally this park is dry. Now the playground is almost an island.

IMAG0091.jpg

This was taken April 18th. What's sticking out of the water is a frisbee-golf hole in the same park (just beyond the playground). These are about 4.5 feet tall. Today,only the top ring was visible.

Here's hoping the people will be able to get back to their homes and that the roads open soon. Also for the farmers that may not even get a chance to plant their crops this spring.