• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MARCH TOBACCO OF THE MONTH- FMOTT

bilder

Here is the place to post reviews on the March tobacco of the month- Frog Morton On the Town.

Let us know what you thing of this blend. Like it? Hate it? Want to marry it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Tobacco's up on deck:

April- Penzance
May-
June-

I could just post what I normally think of this, but I'll make sure that I smoke another bowl to give an accurate report of the "current conditions." :)

I have never tried this blend. Going to open a tin on Saturday and see why folks make such a fuss over the Frog series.

You can get it at JR's, Marscigars, smokingpipes.com and a bunch of other places.

Puffstuff has a shop and he carries pipe tobacco as well.

I've smoked Frog Morton but not this. I'll get a tin and post also.

Frog Morton On the Town.

Bought a tin of this two days ago. I've smoked two bowls of it so far one in a CCP and one in a Brier. The type pipe made no difference to me it smoked the same in both. It has an Old English aroma to it and a sweet finish on the tongue. About 3/4 of the way through I packed it down a little and re-lit and the taste totally changed up on me. The sweetness was gone and it was just a rather harsh tobacco flavor. Over all it was an enjoyable experience but it won't be a daily smoke for me.

Anyway, that's what I thought about it.

I smoked half a bowl of FMOTT last night. Its a muted friendlier version on the Bayou. Its non-confrontational and has a pleasing room note. Now, with that said for solo enjoyment I get much more from FM on the Bayou and would recommend it twice over.

I love it.
My everyday smoke if I were piping every day.

My wife loves the room note so much she actually requests that I smoke it inside.

There is just something about the Frog...

Well, since it's March now, I can post my review!

This is a pretty mild yet very flavorful tobacco blend. I pack it a little looser than I pack some other tobaccos as this allows for the flavors to come through a little better for me as the burn is a little more consistent. The Latakia is definitely there, but it's not overpowering at all. In fact, it may be a little too subdued for some who like heavy English blends. I get a slight sweetness with this blend that gives way to the spicier finish of the Orientals. I'm not sure if that's a characteristic of the Turkish component or not, I don't have enough experience with blends containing Turkish tobacco.

It isn't an "in your face" blend for sure, but the flavor is there. The room note is much more pleasant than and not as prominent as most blends containing Latakia or Oriental tobacco. This is a good thing for the "wife factor" for those of you lucky enough to smoke in your house I get no discernible nicotine kick from this blend.

This is a wonderful tobacco for those who like things on the milder side. It's about as mild a blend as I've had that still has a good amount of flavor to it. I think this is a great blend for cigar smokers to try as their first blend. It may not be enough for some, but it's got plenty of presence for a lot of folks.

Like all the Frog Morton tobaccos, I love this stuff. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an introduction into non aromatics.

Tried a couple bowls of this and found that I enjoy it.

Like the others have said, it is a mild, yet flavorful blend. Light on the Latikia, but this allows the other tobaccos to come forward and join the party. Sweet without being in your face sweet. Makes for an enjoyable smoke any time of day.

The room note is very nice and will not get you kicked out of the home or pub. Even my wife liked it!

Think I will have to try the other Frog Morton blends now and see what I have been missing.

I found all the comments above interesting, especially Alan's.

Until today, I had not smoked FMOTT but have been working my way through a tin of FM; consequently, I've been contrasting the two. The first thing I noticed on opening the tin of FMOTT was the greater prevalence of Orientals and some Virginia (including a few flakes). The tin smell is much more of an English/Oriental blend than FM which smells like Latakia only to me. Consequently, I expected something more along the English/Oriental/Balkan line.

FM, to my taste buds, is all about Latakia; I just don't get much else from it (and I like Latakia so that's not a bad thing). FMOTT is more balanced due to the Basma but still seems to me more of a predominately Latakia blend with a nod toward the Orientals. Compare McCelland's Oriental Mixture #14 to see what I'm getting at.

It has a nice room note, no bite, and burns well down to a fine ash.

I am a fan of McCelland products, especially British Woods, but I can't say as yet that FMOTT (or FM for that matter) would be in my regular rotation. It's a nice change of pace if you want a hit of Latakia.

Speaking of Latakia, I'm curious whether this blend has Syrian or Cyprian Latakia. McClelland's literature doesn't state which Latakia is used for FM, FMOTT or FMOTB. They do state that Syrian is used in FMATP.

As a newbie to pipes I tried a bowl of this yesterday in my newish home-crafted pipe. I found it to be a very enjoyable, fragrant, reasonably flavorful smoke. I am in no way able to judge the different flavors / varieties of tobacco included in this blend. However, I really did enjoy the smoke and will certainly enjoy the rest of the can!

I found all the comments above interesting, especially Alan's.

Until today, I had not smoked FMOTT but have been working my way through a tin of FM; consequently, I've been contrasting the two. The first thing I noticed on opening the tin of FMOTT was the greater prevalence of Orientals and some Virginia (including a few flakes). The tin smell is much more of an English/Oriental blend than FM which smells like Latakia only to me. Consequently, I expected something more along the English/Oriental/Balkan line.

FM, to my taste buds, is all about Latakia; I just don't get much else from it (and I like Latakia so that's not a bad thing). FMOTT is more balanced due to the Basma but still seems to me more of a predominately Latakia blend with a nod toward the Orientals. Compare McCelland's Oriental Mixture #14 to see what I'm getting at.

It has a nice room note, no bite, and burns well down to a fine ash.

I am a fan of McCelland products, especially British Woods, but I can't say as yet that FMOTT (or FM for that matter) would be in my regular rotation. It's a nice change of pace if you want a hit of Latakia.

Speaking of Latakia, I'm curious whether this blend has Syrian or Cyprian Latakia. McClelland's literature doesn't state which Latakia is used for FM, FMOTT or FMOTB. They do state that Syrian is used in FMATP.
I'm glad someone had interest in what I had to say. The wife and kids sure don't! :laugh:

Isn't it interesting that all you taste is pretty much the Latakia and I don't get nearly as much of it? It just goes to show that we all have different tastes and that one man's favorite may not be another's. Thank goodness there are so many blends out there for all of us. :)

As for the Latakia question: I would guess that McClelland uses Cyprian. It is much more common and actually quite a bit "lighter" than the Syrian variety. Syrian Latakia has a pretty heavy nicotine hit and it's got a lot of "tang." It's also much thicker in appearance than the Cyprian variety and is more difficult to keep lit in many cases. Syrian Latakia was pretty much all that was used prior to some time in the 1960s when the forests that provided the wood that was used for curing the tobacco were depleted. It pretty much disappeared until the early 2000s. That's why a lot of the blends from that time period (1960s) just aren't the same as their modern cousins. The Latakia changed and the recipe has been tweaked so much over the years that they are really totally different blends with the same names.

I've also heard (and not really confirmed, but I've heard it several times) that the Cyprian Latakia is less expensive. I'd think that McClellands would probably use that for one of it's more popular blends, especially a blend in which Latakia is not supposed to be the dominant player. That is, of course, all speculation on my part (except for the differing characteristics, that comes from Mr. Pease) and could be completely wrong.

When do we choose the next month's blend? :whistling:

April is Penzance.

Need some suggestions for the May tobacco......

Anyone?

Since both of the first two months have been English/Balkan blends, how about something like Haddo's Delight or a Vaper?

Haddo's Delight it is for May. :thumbs:

Nice, i all ready have a tin of that!

I'm not sure I'll participate in April, as my last experience w/ Pennzance some 10 years ago was not very good and I don't think I want to hunt down another tin just to confirm I don't like it... Though ever other piper seems to want to have its babies, so maybe i should give it another shot...