• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mass shooting at Mandalay Bay Las Vegas

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard this on the news, the worst mass shooting in US history. Really very sad, so many people affected by this...

I heard about this too. Over 50 confirmed dead, 400 transported to hospitals. Really sad, the Route 91 concert sounded like a nice event.

mjolnir01 lives there, and I thought there may have been a couple more members as well. Horrific shock pray for the city and the victims. I may donate some blood today, just because.

Just an unbelievable act, I pray for the victims and their families.

Just a horrific situation.

Lots of planning went into this, and the suspect does not fit the typical profile. The back story will hopefully shed some light

T

NRA be damned there is no reason for civilians to have automatic weapons.

Tragic event, and the douche on the trigger would have done this with or without "automatic" weapons.

It appears this guy was known to local PD, which leads me to believe if he did have full auto, it wasn't legally obtained.

That being said, the evil lies in the man, not the tool he used.

Very sad and tragic. This kind of thing is happening more and more often. It makes me wonder what type of world will my kids and their kids live in. Afraid of going to school, concerts, movies, etc.

Tragic event, and the douche on the trigger would have done this with or without "automatic" weapons.

It appears this guy was known to local PD, which leads me to believe if he did have full auto, it wasn't legally obtained.

That being said, the evil lies in the man, not the tool he used.

He couldn't have done this without automatic weapons. I've not seen anything about him being known to police.

One of my troops was at the concert. He's fine, but in an understatement, said the incident "sucked".

He couldn't have done this without automatic weapons. I've not seen anything about him being known to police.

Time.com
"Paddock had been known to local law enforcement, but not federal authorities."

The thought process of someone that would commit such a heinous crime is something most of us can't comprehend. So sad for those that were killed and injured both physically and mentally. Prayers to all those involved. Hopefully finding the woman that was with him can cast some light on what possessed him to carry out such a crime.

The other shocking detail is the gun used, that's an illegal firearm in the US without a permit that is almost impossible to get...and has been since the late 50s. He either bought it on the Black Market or modified it himself. No one can stop that kind of hate...and attacking the NRA because of this is ridiculous. They don't defend the ownership of fully automatic weapons.

Come on guys, don't turn this into Facebook with the arguments. Something terrible happened, and none of our thoughts, beliefs, or government fantasies are going to make it any different. We've all got opinions on the way a lot of things should be in this country and this world, but let's please keep this little place we've got here civil about it all. It's pretty much the last bastion of sanity on the internet right now...

Legally purchasing a fully automatic M16 looks like a $30-40,000 investment, a $200 tax certificate, and a nine+ month wait while the FBI / BATFE checks your records out. My guess is that this guy didn't use legally purchased automatic weapons, opting for stolen, black market, or illegally modified guns. Which is, by definition, completely illegal and will get your ass thrown in federal jail, every time.

There are other factors that must be considered if we are to ever make progress in reducing or eliminating this type of crime.

Bottom line is blaming the weapon is pointless. Evil finds a way, every time.

Legally purchasing a fully automatic M16 looks like a $30-40,000 investment, a $200 tax certificate, and a nine+ month wait while the FBI / BATFE checks your records out. My guess is that this guy didn't use legally purchased automatic weapons, opting for stolen, black market, or illegally modified guns. Which is, by definition, completely illegal and will get your ass thrown in federal jail, every time.

There are other factors that must be considered if we are to ever make progress in reducing or eliminating this type of crime.

Bottom line is blaming the weapon is pointless. Evil finds a way, every time.
Not blaming the weapon, only access to it. Evil will always find a way just need to make it as difficult as humanly possible.

Not blaming the weapon, only access to it. Evil will always find a way just need to make it as difficult as humanly possible.
Title three (full auto weapons) are already illegal unless the owner is federally checked out and approved, and priced well out of reach for your average dirtbag. Not sure how much more "illegal" you can make it.

Legal firearms are rarely used to commit crimes. Stolen, black market, or "straw purchased" weapons are the favorites of criminals, most of whom can't legally own a weapon, anyway.

I'll say it again - focusing on the weapon will gain us nothing. We've followed this path for years and basically gotten nowhere. We've got to dig deeper, much deeper into motivations and our society in general. We've got to take a very real look at how mentally ill people are diagnosed and treated in this country. There are lots of other things that need to be honestly looked at. The answers to these questions may not be pretty....but it's time to get serious.

....... Not sure how much more "illegal" you can make it.

First, I am not disagreeing and second never said "illegal", merely said as difficult as humanly possible. I have guns and regularly shoot them at targets enjoying the heck out of it and do not wish to lose that right. No focus on the weapon with me it is a focus on the process.

Time.com
"Paddock had been known to local law enforcement, but not federal authorities."
Time seems to be alone with that. Nothing on NBC, CNN, NYT. Or maybe they are ahead of the curve. The only thing I've caught is a parking ticket he got awhile ago.

First, I am not disagreeing and second never said "illegal", merely said as difficult as humanly possible. I have guns and regularly shoot them at targets enjoying the heck out of it and do not wish to lose that right. No focus on the weapon with me it is a focus on the process.
As someone that owns NFA regulated hardware, I can say that IMHO the process to legally own full auto weapons is sufficiently difficult.

I mentioned 'illegal' as that's how most people who commit crimes obtain full auto weapons. Coming up with $30-40K and undergoing a full FBI background check not only takes time, but is impossible for many folks.

Time seems to be alone with that. Nothing on NBC, CNN, NYT. Or maybe they are ahead of the curve. The only thing I've caught is a parking ticket he got awhile ago.

Sounds like some are recanting that statement.
So much misinformation because everyone trying to be first.