• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mayorga High Octane

SamGuss

As I get more and more into cigars, I have been keeping an eye out for cheaper cigars I could invest in to be able to hold onto for some aging. Since I have a limited budget (and not too many cigars at any one time), I have been pricing and trying the cheaper smokes that eventually, hopefully sometime in the near future, I could grab a box here and there, for the sole purpose to age.

Enter the Mayorga High Octane Toro Maduro. I picked it up at a local shop not long ago for the amazing price of $4.25, which was way off MSRP - the things through Holts sells for like $60 for a box of 27, or $2.22/per. However, having had a normal Mayorga about a year ago with some age on it, I figured I would try it out before getting set to purchase a box.

Overall, the cigar was simple and straightforward and stronger than I expected. Medium body, easy draw, very strong taste that I suspect from my earlier exposure to an aged Mayorga I am assuming will become at least slightly more mild with some age to it.

The strong tastes of leather and wood, topped off with coffee grounds, was consistant throughtout the entire cigar. While not an instant favorite, or a cigar I would choose regulary over other brands in this same price range (such as Punch Rothschild double Maduro, HdM Dark Sumptra Espresso or Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild) , I do see that I would go to it if it was available in my humidor, when I am looking for a quick fix while I was busy - or simply in the mood for a strong cigar, but didn't want to smoke one of my higher priced smokes.

Bottom line is I do plan on adding a box of these to my collection one day for the purposes of aging. But not at the price I paid for them - I will get em from Holts or someplace like that. In the meantime I rated this cigar at about an 81 or 82.

Sam

Yup, those HO's pack a punch. You should go over to Herfers Paradise or Cigar Weekly and look at their Newbie Sample Thread.You can usually get a nioce variety. The same holds true by just hanging out in their trading room and seeing what trades look good. I am doing a $30 trade and another trade for a couple super premiums.

Emo

I also really enjoy the Mayorga HO. I was at JR's in Statesville a few months back to see the Zippo car and they had a weekly in-house special on the HO Parejo Naturals. 3 for $5. I bought several and fell in love. I have since bought the 32-pack assortment which is mostly not HO. Very inexpensive for an everyday smoke.

Thanks for the info, guys. I will probably try to pick up a couple of these sticks today.

ALostTexan
...also constantly looking for a cheaper cigar...

Today I smoked my First HO, I was hopping it would be a "kick your a$$ smoke"... Just did not get it :( Don't get me wrong, It was not mild in any way but I was hopping for a lot more out of it. It had all of the taste Sam described, but not the PUNCH I was looking for. Thanks To Shadow I have quite a few, I do plan on smoking all of them {SO DON'T GET ANY IDEAS YOU FREAKIN' MOOCHERS :sneaky: } IMO the regular maduro line has a more fuller taste, I don't know ... could be me.... Or the 4 Black and tans I drank :D While smoking it! It is definitely a good smoke at a great price... Maybe I would appreciate it more if I HAD THE MAYORGA HUMIDOR THAT BILL IS HOLDEN' OUT ON ME TO KEEP THEM IN :( But that's OK... No really, it's fine ... sniffle, sniffle ......... I will get over it!
sad2.gif

JOE.M. said:
Today I smoked my First HO, I was hopping it would be a "kick your a$$ smoke"... Just did not get it :( Don't get me wrong, It was not mild in any way but I was hopping for a lot more out of it. It had all of the taste Sam described, but not the PUNCH I was looking for. Thanks To Shadow I have quite a few, I do plan on smoking all of them {SO DON'T GET ANY IDEAS YOU FREAKIN' MOOCHERS :sneaky: } IMO the regular maduro line has a more fuller taste, I don't know ... could be me.... Or the 4 Black and tans I drank :D While smoking it! It is definitely a good smoke at a great price... Maybe I would appreciate it more if I HAD THE MAYORGA HUMIDOR THAT BILL IS HOLDEN' OUT ON ME TO KEEP THEM IN :( But that's OK... No really, it's fine ... sniffle, sniffle ......... I will get over it!
sad2.gif
I'm glad you're getting over it Joe. I couldn't give up my Mayorga humi, it balances out the table I have it on along with the ERDM humi. :D

Note to self: Stop listening to my wife! Reverse Psychology does not work!! ???

Those of you that like the HO's should take a peek over at Little Anthony's.

LACigar

($45.00 a box on what they have left, have to call in) SHHH! I wasn't supposed to post the price on a bb.

Wascal said:
SHHH! I wasn't supposed to post the price on a bb.
The next knock on your door Wascal will be members of the LA militia coming to get you for spilling secret information :sign: !