• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

McClelland's Highland

CvilleYoungGun

Not so young gun anymore.
Ok guys this is my first review in this section of the boards. I got this bottle of Single Malt because my GF was going into the ABC to get some 10cane herself so I said pick me up a bottle of Single Malt, she asked what kind and I gave her a list including Macallan 18 Yr and 12yr but instead I ended up with McClellands's. I was afraid it would be trash but I was pleasently surprised.

First off I assumed that this was fairly young because it was quite light in color in the glass. The first thing that I noticed after pouring a bit in a glass was the smell was immediately different than the single malts I had tasted before, it was much sweeter and upon further inspection much like a cookie. This single malt was light for a scotch, I had to check the proof to make sure that it was really 80 proof. Some pours are really dense(thick on my tongue) and kind of punch you in the tongue with flavor, but this rather sits back and is reserved for a lengthy finish. The flavor profile was very enjoyable though I cant pick out all of the distinct flavors, I can say though that they were pleasent leading into a very long and sweet finish. The flavors I could pick out were, Macadamia, Cocoa, and cappucino. For a particularly cheap single malt this was very enjoyable, pleasent enough to do a review on at least :laugh: :laugh: . I can't wait til that bottle of Ballantine's 17 that AVB recommended arrives, I will be sure to take some short notes.

Thanks for reading,

CYG

S1-60.jpg

McClelland's actually has a pretty good pedigree as it is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers, which is in turn owned by Suntory of Japan. The three McClelland's bottlings are, in fact, 5 yo releases of the three Morrison Bowmore distilleries: Lowland (Auchentoshan), Highland (Glen Garioch), and Islay (Bowmore). While not bad you can see what the additional aging does if you try the older brand named versions.

Back