• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Weekend cookouts - What's on the menu?

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Saturday is the day for cookouts since i put flags on the graves on Monday.  Not a day to celebrate but to remember.

The menu this year is a whole New York strip (15lbs) smoked with apple wood. Sides will be grilled Yams with molasses butter, grilled shrimp with Jalapeno rub some rope sausage from the farmer down the road and salad from my garden. Pretty basic compared to some of you cooks out there.

This meal will serve 15 or more people depending on how big and hungry they are.

Boneless Whole New York Strip
Take out of fridge a few hours before cooking to warm up to room temp
Dry off and then coat with oil.
Cover completely with course black pepper (1 cup) and salt (1 tablespoon)  You can do a mustard based rub if you want but I like mine to tilt more toward steak than BBQ
Cook @ 275 for 30 min per pound for boneless or 33 min for bone in or until internal temp is 125 if you are going to sear it (Option 2 below) or want it really rare. I usually go to 130 for Option 1.

Option 1: Cover in foil and rest for 30 minutes
Option 2: heat oven to 500 degrees and cook strip for 10 min a side for a crisper finish crust
I'm an option 1 kind of guy

Can be served with Au Jus if you want to thin slice or like a steak for thicker cuts

Au Jus
2 cups of beef stock,
1 onion cut into quarters and separated
Place pan under Strip to catch drippings for an hour or so. I use the 2nd to 3rd hour
Remove pan (if you don't it will all evaporate) and reheat prior to serving.

Yams with molasses butter
5 lbs Yams
Cut Yams into rounds, spears or whatever shapes you want
Pre cook Yams in oven until done.

Let 2 sticks of butter warm to room temperature.  In a bowl put the butter and 1 cup of molasses and thoroughly mix
After Strip is taken off the smoker rack place yam pieces and coat with the molasses butter turning and coating a few times. (15-30 min)
Put left over molasses butter in a bowl on the table if people want more

Shrimp with Jalapeno rub
2 lbs shrimp
1 stick melted butter
Dry and grind up 3 jalapeno chilis into a fine powder. 
Shrimp can be raw if you are going to cook them on the grill or pre-cooked if you are only warming them up.
Paint shrimp with butter
Lightly sprinkle Jalapeno powder on shrimp while grilling.

Grilled chicken with my secret sauce, medium rare London Broil, sweet and hot Italian sausage, hamburgers and hot dogs for the kids. Standard potato salad, an Italian version of the same, grilled asparagus and broccoli sautéed in EVOO and garlic, because it spring. Cannoli from the North End. Cupcakes for the kids.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Grilled chicken with my secret sauce, medium rare London Broil, sweet and hot Italian sausage, hamburgers and hot dogs for the kids. Standard potato salad, an Italian version of the same, grilled asparagus and broccoli sautéed in EVOO and garlic, because it spring. Cannoli from the North End. Cupcakes for the kids.

Doc
Modern?
We still have three weeks so I still have time to plan but I like the idea of grilling something.

Likely pick up a variety of sausages, italian, chicken with green chile, veal, onions, beer n butter, cole slaw, and veggies of some kind.