• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mi Dominicana Lancero

Azoetia

I have had a few of the Jose Seijas Signature Series cigars but wasn't impressed. So, it was with hesitation last December that I picked up one of his Mi Dominicana cigars. Since the lancero and corona gorda are my two favorite vitolas, I opted to go with the lancero. I have since smoked about 7 or 8 of these and I am impressed with this cigar (I have tried one or two of the other vitolas and they didn’t do it for me).

Mi Dominicana Cigars
Wrapper: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Lancero: 7 1/2 x 40

Since I always try to choose a cigar based on all of the factors that play into the smoking experience (e.g., time of day, when and what I last ate, etc.) this cigar works best for me as a morning cigar or early afternoon cigar. I only smoke in the mornings on Saturday so it has sort of become a Saturday morning cigar. The cigar has lasted over 2 hours each time I’ve smoked one. It starts off a little slow but for me for the first 3/4" to 1", but it literally changes its profile about 4-5 times throughout the cigar. The spice increases as the cigar is smoked and about halfway through, a touch of sweetness develops. I have rarely had any burn issues with the cigar and the lancero requires maybe one or two relights (I keep my cigars around 64-65% RH) but when I grab one out of the box at the B&M (70% RH), it requires a few more relights.

To me, this is an underrated lancero but one that belongs in one’s lancero collection, assuming it is smoked first or at the right time of day. The flavors are a bit subtle at times and not bold enough to pick up after smoking an Opus, Anejo, Padron, etc. but ones that are pretty relaxing when I am in the mood for a mild-medium cigar (and it does pop a little punch at the end).

The lancero is quickly becoming one of my favorite vitolas! I'll have to keep an eye peeled for these, thanks for the review!

This thread is worthless without pics! :sign: Nice review David.... sounds tasty.

Hey, listen DeVonn, it is apparent I read more and post less - just putting up a review is big for me :laugh: Now you want pictures too :p I am known for merely giving a thumbs up or thumbs down for a cigar review and my ultimate test is "would I buy more?" This is why I don't post reviews. Oh, and my ex-wife took all the digital cameras and I have been too lazy to go buy one, especially just for cigar pics :D Nobody wants to see half of my thumb in the shot anyway!

I love the Signature Series(especially with a few years on them). This is the first review I've seen of this line and these have been out for quite some time now. Thank you!!

These sound similar to the Signature Series though. Sweet, complex and so freaking smooth!!! What, in your opinion, is the big difference between the two lines? The only SS I have had the pleasuring of smoking were aged at least 4 years. Were the SS you smoked young?

I love the Signature Series(especially with a few years on them). This is the first review I've seen of this line and these have been out for quite some time now. Thank you!!

These sound similar to the Signature Series though. Sweet, complex and so freaking smooth!!! What, in your opinion, is the big difference between the two lines? The only SS I have had the pleasuring of smoking were aged at least 4 years. Were the SS you smoked young?

Great question, and in defense of the SS, one of my locals was one of the initial nine shops (or whatever the small number was) to get them before Seijas expanded the number of shops. So, I haven't had one in well over two years and I just don't remember being crazy about it, but others were big fans. So, I may have to revisit it after all. Sorry I can't provide any more specifics about comparing the two lines.

I did hear that the blend for the Mi Dominicana has been recently tweaked, or will be shortly, whereby for all intents and purposes, it will be the SS with the Mi Dominicana wrapper.

They are not even close to the signature line. The signature is one of my favorites, spicy sweet with a great burn. The Mi Dominicana is a mild boring cigar, imo. Good review though.

Thanks for the review David. On your recommendation, I picked one up several days ago. I enjoyed it. Very nice flavors.

They are not even close to the signature line. The signature is one of my favorites, spicy sweet with a great burn. The Mi Dominicana is a mild boring cigar, imo. Good review though.

Just curious, did you smoke the lancero or another vitola in the Mi Dominicana line? I was not a fan of the other sizes I tried as they were pretty boring and one-dimensional.