• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Microsoft Office issues on new MacBook Pro

Jamie76

Hello everyone,

After the pain of transfering all my files, favorites, etc from my Dell on to my MacBook Pro, I thought all was good.  Not so.  When I transferred everything over, it did so in a new account.  I had my regular account that had Microsoft Office installed on, but I could not find my documents, favorite, etc that I transferred over.  I finally figured out that for some reason when I did the transfer, the MacBook placed everything in a new account.  After playing around with it for a while, I decided just to make the account with everything transferred on to my main account.  I then deleted my initial main account.

I reinistalled Microsoft Office on my new main account after some heartburn.  Everything was working fine.

Tonight I was getting ready to start working on my project paper for my Master's degree on my Mac.  I could not open any of the Office programs (Word, Power Point, etc.).  I clicked on them multiple times with no success.  Finally, I decided to shut down the Mac.  It took forever.  I got a few pop ups that said "Power Point/Word need to shut down before I can shut down" (or something to that effect).  However if I hit "cancel" it would force the programs to shut down.  I did so.

In any event, Office will not work for some reason even though it worked previously.  If anyone has had similar problems, please let me know if there is a simple solution.  I really don't want to take the Mac to the Apple store and get charged $$$ for a simple fix.

There are a couple things that could possibly be at work here. One of which Is the fact that you have moved not only information but applications from account to account which if they were not completely uninstalled can still leave residual permissions error (how the application is launched and whom is allowed to open). To resolve this press cmd+space then start typing in disk utilities. Open the result under the application tab and a list of drives and disk images should appear. Select Macintosh HD and then first aid. Towards the bottom should be the option to verify disk and to repair, do so in that order then restart.

If this does not work then we are probably looking at the application itself. Again using the cmd+space short key type in Microsoft updater (I believe it's called) and run that. It's likely that there are some updates available for the suite. If you can not open any of these programs you can download updates manually from Microsoft.

Thanks Christo,

I tried a couple different things to no avail.  I just dropped it off at the local computer shop.  Worse case scenario it costs me $50 to fix.  I didn't want to, however I really need the laptop as this Dell is dying.  A cracked screen doesn't help either.

Christo said:
Ah, sorry to hear - hope they don't whack you too badly.
They can't even fix it.  They clean the Office Suite from the laptop and do a fresh install and although the first issue was resolved, there are new problems.  I now know the reason I switched to a Mac.

If there are any other "Office" type software out there that is compatible with MS and Apple, I would be willing to go that route.  As long as it worked on the Mac and opened Office programs.

Jamie76 said:
Ah, sorry to hear - hope they don't whack you too badly.
They can't even fix it.  They clean the Office Suite from the laptop and do a fresh install and although the first issue was resolved, there are new problems.  I now know the reason I switched to a Mac.

If there are any other "Office" type software out there that is compatible with MS and Apple, I would be willing to go that route.  As long as it worked on the Mac and opened Office programs.

If you use gmail use their apps, .docx, .ppt, etc compatible. 

Shecks said:
LibreOffice is a good alternative to MS Office...and its free :)

No kidding...been working with the Windows version and it's amazing software......