• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MMA fans-Anderson Silva

Well that was quick.

I just won a friendly bet with a friend. Told him it wouldn't get out of the first round. Silva by KO in about 1 minute.

Worth staying up for...if only for a few minutes!

Can't wait for August UFC - my wife bought me tickets at the Target Center. Also, she went to college with Roger Huerta, so it'll be fun to watch him fight live.

On a side note, GSP is my fav. fighter and I also get to see him live. Pretty exciting. Gotta love UFC - right up there with the NFL for me.

Ok, so who can dumb it down for me. This is getting a little nuts for me. I don't follow it too much, but I do enjoy the hell outta it. How many different "shows" are there? The main one? Who is the best fighter overall? Or do they not mix? Thanks!

Don

I don't know about you guys, but the undercard that they showed last was pretty nasty. The head kick knocked the dude the f out.

Ok, so who can dumb it down for me. This is getting a little nuts for me. I don't follow it too much, but I do enjoy the hell outta it. How many different "shows" are there? The main one? Who is the best fighter overall? Or do they not mix? Thanks!

Don

MMA is modeled after a pro boxing/pro wrestling with different promotions having different contracts for thier fighters.

each one has thier own champions. I would say the UFC is the top dog right now, not because of thier fighters (they dont have Faber, Emelianko, Lawler just to name a few) but becuase they have the greatest exposure. Fighting is set up in wieght classes, just like boxing, and alot of the fighters move around in weight. (like Anderson Silva and Brandon Vera).

Most pro fighter have fought for most of the promotions. The only one who does not allow thier fighters to fight for other promotions is the UFC. You could see a Strikeforce guy fighting in the WEC for instance. But you are not going to see a UFC fighter on an Elite XC card.

hope that helps a bit.

and as far as the best guy going right now. It is GSP or Silva, I will let you guess wich one lol!!!

I don't know... Fedor dispatched of big tim in 36 seconds. Randy couldn't do that in 5 rounds.

Affliction put on a pretty good show. I could have done without Megadeath, though.

Don

MMA is modeled after a pro boxing/pro wrestling with different promotions having different contracts for thier fighters.

each one has thier own champions. I would say the UFC is the top dog right now, not because of thier fighters (they dont have Faber, Emelianko, Lawler just to name a few) but becuase they have the greatest exposure. Fighting is set up in wieght classes, just like boxing, and alot of the fighters move around in weight. (like Anderson Silva and Brandon Vera).

Most pro fighter have fought for most of the promotions. The only one who does not allow thier fighters to fight for other promotions is the UFC. You could see a Strikeforce guy fighting in the WEC for instance. But you are not going to see a UFC fighter on an Elite XC card.

hope that helps a bit.

and as far as the best guy going right now. It is GSP or Silva, I will let you guess wich one lol!!!

Don't the Zoofoo brothers own a stake of ECW, I know that on UFC fights the reference Faber and ECW (the Pulzer v Faber a few months back). As far as the rest of the promotions go, well I'm not sure that they have enough great fighters on their rosters to compete with UFC. Sure the Afflicition line up was good, but what now. UFC can has some thing like 12 PPV a year and when Affliciton put theres up UFC throw a free one at us.

Thats tough to beat. EliteXC and Kimbo are a joke. I would have to give UFC the nod, yes I know their heavy weights are fourth class, but the amount of talent and sheer force behind the reality TV show make UFC the promotion that everyone is compared to (ie Frank Shamrock comparing lack luster CBS fight to Griffin-Bonner).

As far as fighters go, Silva is really, really good. Namely he is vary efficent in his movements and strikes. Also his accuarcy of insane.

Brandon

UFC owns WEC, yes. Same rules and format. To me, it almost feels like its minor-league UFC. The only thing WEC has going for it is Faber, and honestly, he can't compete at 155 with the top UFC guys. No way.

Isn't it funny that most of the PRIDE guys come to UFC and look terrible initially? Darn anti-doping rules. Ha.

Speaking of, James Irvin tested positive post-fight. Anyone who saw that will tell you it didn't help him at all.

I think the greatest thing I could see right now would be a catch-weight fight at 178 between GSP and Spider. Let's settle this "pound for pound greatest fighter on the planet" question once and for all.

I think Faber might be able to hold his own as UFC lightweights are questionable. I totally agree with WEC being the "minor leagues", but thats how you develop talent.

As far as GSP vs. Silva, you can never actually settle a pound vs pound arguement. They just don't match up that well. Either one guy bulks up to much to move up or the other guy cuts to much weight to compete. They both have loses, but Silva has been on a role lately.

As far as Pride goes, I just think it is a fundamental difference in strategy. Pride always seemed to favor strikers and feature guys like Cro Cop, the Ax Murder, and the Spyder. A lot of those guys aren't used to fighting in a cage with an actually fence. Add to that the wrestling backgrounds seem to be more common in UFC than in Pride. Not trying to say Pride sucked, it just takes some time for guys to transition. Sort of like NFL Europe or Arena Football, sure the guys can play, but can the compete in under the lights against top notch talent??