• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold Concern

CasaSoho

New Englander at Heart
While inspecting a box of Mag 50s this evening I came across some blue spotting on about half of the bands in the box. I don't know that it is mold as I didn't notice any discernible spores, but remain concerned nonetheless. This box is from April 2009, the month my first was born, and I was hoping to hold on to it for another 20+ years.

The spots can be scratched away, but leave a stain underneath. Any thoughts? I'm hoping it has something to do with ink used in the band. I only found issues with the primary band.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Looks like some water got in there....I'd be temped to dry box them for a couple days, inspect, then back into the humidor.

I don't think it looks like anything to be concerned with. It is not on the cigar wrapper and only looks to be on the gold part of the band. My guess is it has something to do with the ink used to print the band. oddly enough I recall seeing other h upman bands that looked the same, unfortunately I can't recall what ended up being the result. But again I am a worry-wort  when it comes to mold and that would not bother me unless it was fuzzy. If it is fuzzy I would just lose the bands.

BlindedByScience said:
Looks like some water got in there....I'd be temped to dry box them for a couple days, inspect, then back into the humidor.

x2

NHsmoker said:
I don't think it looks like anything to be concerned with. It is not on the cigar wrapper and only looks to be on the gold part of the band. My guess is it has something to do with the ink used to print the band. oddly enough I recall seeing other h upman bands that looked the same, unfortunately I can't recall what ended up being the result. But again I am a worry-wort  when it comes to mold and that would not bother me unless it was fuzzy. If it is fuzzy I would just lose the bands.
What he said.

It's just the bands.

I've seen it a many smokes.

Good to see you <both> around!

grateful1 said:
What he said.

It's just the bands.

I've seen it a many smokes.

Good to see you <both> around!

X3 I have had 3 of these smokes and they all had that discoloration on the bands! I have seen it on some of the other Upmann bands as well nothing to worry about!

Paul