• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold in my Humidor

wrath186

Hey guys I need some help. I checked my humidor recently and discovered that one cigar had some mold on it. Got rid of the cigar, checked everything else out and the rest seemed ok. Checked again today and discoverd mold on the cigar tray. This portion of the tray is right above where the humidifying device is located. I checked the cigars there throughly and luckily there weren't any others "infected" with mold. I have taken them out and placed them in a separate container. My question is now how to clean my humidor tray?

I looked on this board and didn't really find a clear answer. I also googled it, but they didn't have anything real clear either. Any suggestions?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head....

...first I'd wipe the moldy area down well with a dry cloth and then put the tray outside in direct sun for a few days---dry that sucker out! Mold likes damp moist areas, so give it the opposite. Afterwards I'd sand that section of the tray down with a low grit finishing sand paper.

As far as the rest of your cigars go, I'd bag each one seperately & keep a close eye on them. Mold spores are hardy little guys.

Lastly, you have to figure out why this happened in the first palce or you'll find yourself in the same situation. What is your humi set up like?

Also, emodx is awesome at trouble shooting humi issues, ask him! His advice is golden.

Humi has an Osh-Kosh humidifier in a ceder box. I fill it w/distilled water every 6mths. Open the box at least once a week to check temp and humidity. Have had a problem keeping humidity below 70. Been thinking it's time to switch to climaxx beads.

One thought, are you using distilled water in your humidifier?? If not, could be the problem :(

Yeah, using distilled water. I think I might have gotten a stick that was starting to turn and it got into the wood somehow.

Heat is an issue in mold production as well because of the humidity the sticks need to remain at. Last summer I wasn't using beads yet, so I was having trouble just staying up near 70%. It was a very hot summer though so the central air had a tough time staying ahead of the heat so the temps in the house rose to 80 or better quite often. As a result I had mold devlope on a few sticks.

My solution:
I cleaned off each stick and placed any sticks in the mold area not in cello in it's own home made cello using 2x8 baggies whith the ends cut off.

I thuroughly cleaned the molded area of the tray and let it dry for a very short period. A day or two.

I switched to climmax beads. First 1/3 pound 70% beads in each humi, later 1/2 pound 65% in each 300ct while keeping 1/3 pound 70% in the 100 count humi.

My problem has never returned and my humi maintenance is way easier now as well. I would suggest if heat is an issue for you perhaps a basement to keep the humi in over the summer. For what it's worth I myself have a large basement, so if you need a place to store them for a while.........................