• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold on Anejo cigars

rwtarget

Checked my 48's tonight and found mold under the cedar on 5 of the cigars. I've removed all the cello, cedar and wiped the mold from the cigars. I have a cold and don't want to smoke these until it's gone. What precautions do I need to take while storing these?

Checked my 48's tonight and found mold under the cedar on 5 of the cigars. I've removed all the cello, cedar and wiped the mold from the cigars. I have a cold and don't want to smoke these until it's gone. What precautions do I need to take while storing these?

Leave the box open all night. I do when it come to anjeos. Then I take all the cedar and cello off. I am a naked cigar guy. My understanding if the mold is white you are okay if has turned green toss em.

As far as precautions. I had some 48's this summer I only got about 5 good ones out of the whole box. I stripped em down and tossed em right in my singles humi, no problems for 6 months. AS I understand it mold will only grow at certain humidities. If you wipe it off and keep it at a low humidity you should be fine. There are others who will disagree. I guess you have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck.

I think I heard mold also has a stink to it that is unmistakeable. Once your cold is gone, start sniffing them sticks.

BTW Shooter, your sig is making me salivate... :love: :thumbs:

Leave the box open all night. I do when it come to anjeos. Then I take all the cedar and cello off. I am a naked cigar guy. My understanding if the mold is white you are okay if has turned green toss em.

As far as precautions. I had some 48's this summer I only got about 5 good ones out of the whole box. I stripped em down and tossed em right in my singles humi, no problems for 6 months. AS I understand it mold will only grow at certain humidities. If you wipe it off and keep it at a low humidity you should be fine. There are others who will disagree. I guess you have to decide for yourself.

Good Luck.

Shooter your sig pic is just not right or fair ;)

BUMP

Anyone out there with any other tips on mold (and Anejos)?

I've been searching for info and I guess it's the blue/green mold that I need to worry the most about? Is this true? Is white mold more benign? I'm definitely looking for any tips yous guys might have. TIA. :thumbs:

BUMP

I've been searching for info and I guess it's the blue/green mold that I need to worry the most about? Is this true? Is white mold more benign? I'm definitely looking for any tips yous guys might have. TIA. :thumbs:

Send them to me......I have cleaning method that should allow me to send 25% of them back to you good as new. But......no guarantees.

I would PM Wilkey, if he doesn't have first hand knowledge he can probably tell you who does.

WIth Anejos, I'd do the following:
  • Remove and toss any cello, cedar and ribbon the stick might come with.
  • Examine the wrapper and carefully wipe off any mold with a damp cloth. From what I understand, a little white mold on the wrapper is not that big of a deal.
  • Examine the foot of the cigar. If you see any mold, it might be a sign that the mold has set into the filler and binder (at which point I'd toss the cigar).
  • Once the cigar is cleaned up, quarantine it from your other sticks - put it into some ziplocs. I remember reading somewhere that humidity can still pass thru the plastic, but the spores can't.
  • Keep an eye on the infected sticks, periodically, to make sure the mold doesn't come back.
  • Repeat if necessary.
This method worked for me when I found a few small dots of white mold growing on a couple of my Sharks from last December's shipment- nothing major, but one spore is too much for me. So far, the sticks are a-ok.

Another thing to consider is the RH at which the sticks are stored. Since, given the right conditions, Anejos are notorious for having mold problems, I generally prefer to store mine anywhere between 60% - 65% RH.

I hope this helps.

Just wanted to add something here - if people were still wondering about this.

I had a mixed box of #46 and #50 from the December 2005 release in the humi and threw a few Sharks in there that I recieved from early this year.

Went to pull a few sticks out for an upcoming trip and low and behold mold has started to appear on the Sharks.

The reason I post this is that these smokes were stroed in the same conditions and I know that the old sticks did not and do not have any mold on them. I do keep the cello on the sticks.

Not enough that cannot be smoked, but just thought it was validation of some the issues that were raised here and elsewhere about these smokes.

And the differences between earlier and recent releases

Just my @.02

I was lucky enough to land a box of sharks over the Christmas holidays.....and, unlucky enough that about 80% of 'em grew bright, green, fuzzy, fluffy mold on their feet by early February. This was while stored in my coolers at 62-68% with good temperature control...... :angry:

I know some guys say "...brush 'em off and smoke 'em..." but I have to say every time I've tried it, they taste like old, nasty gym socks. Just horrible.....

The word I've heard is that for some reason this year, the Anejo's were lots "wetter" than usual. I have boxes of 48's and 49's from two years ago that are flawless. I think this year's "crop" was just the luck of the draw and not a good one at that. If you look around at other boards, we're not the only guys with Anejo issues, this year.....

Hope it works out - B.B.S.

Gee! Another thread that makes me glad all mine are from before '05. On some 48's & 49's of unknown years prior to '05 I have noticed the white kind of mold. I only learned it was actually mold because I proudly posted a pic of one with what I thought was bloom. They guys here let me know REAL quick that I was mistaken. But I had already smoked the stick and thought and still think it was one of the best Anejos I have ever had. So the white mold don't scare me. I have never seen the green mold on any cigar in person. But see the white all the time in B&Ms, especially in Tubos (any kind), Anejos, and Padrons.