• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold Problem

Wombat

Wombats Have Skills
Hi All:

Need a little help here. I have a cooler-dor setup with 65% beads. Humidity has not been over 65% and maybe has been as low as 60% (as I prefer it somewat dry). Just unraped the cedar from an AF Chateau and noticed several spots of mold. I went through the rest of the cooler, and did not see anything else. I have quite a few uncellophoned sticks in boxes (all looked good) and more sticks in boxes with clear celophane (also with no mold). I would rather not have to unwrap the rest of the box of AF's, but reall don't want to have a mold problem. What are your thoughts?

It's been known to happen with the Fuentes with cedar sleeves. Probably due to them being shipped wet. It can be whiped off if it's not too bad. If you bought a whole box, I would return them.

JMO

Yeah, Lee is right. Sometimes the Arturo Fuente Chateaus have small spots of mold on them because of moisture. If your other cigars are not affected, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just wipe off the mold and smoke it. If the box is brand new and others have mold on them, just return the box back and get an exchange for another one. Keep us posted on the rest of your cigars.

You might want to remove the cedar sleeves. I've heard of cedar sap being left on cigars from them as well. Between that and the cigars being shipped wet you have to keep your eye on those. Just wipe it off, remove the sleeve and put them back. they'll slowly come down to the RH of your coolerdor.

Jason

MichiganM said:
You might want to remove the cedar sleeves. I've heard of cedar sap being left on cigars from them as well. Between that and the cigars being shipped wet you have to keep your eye on those. Just wipe it off, remove the sleeve and put them back. they'll slowly come down to the RH of your coolerdor.

Jason
[snapback]275649[/snapback]​

I've had sap on two Chateau Fuentes after removing the sleeve. Don't think it affected the taste though.

Mold, Beetles.. heck... It won't kill you!! Smoke them up!!!

Lee said:
It's been known to happen with the Fuentes with cedar sleeves. Probably due to them being shipped wet. It can be whiped off if it's not too bad. If you bought a whole box, I would return them.

JMO
[snapback]275211[/snapback]​
Lee might whip it off, but I'd just wipe off the mold myself.

Shiba said:
[snapback]275692[/snapback]​

I disagree. Smoking mold on a cigar could be very hazardous to your health. Fortunately this type of mold is rare. If you can wipe it off I wouldn't worry about it, if you can I would just chalk that stick up to a loss.

Also I have found that if you put a few pieces of copper (i.e. pennies) in your coolerdor you won't have any problems with mold. For some reason mold hates copper.

MarkF150 said:
Also I have found that if you put a few pieces of copper (i.e. pennies) in your coolerdor you won't have any problems with mold. Foe some reason mold hates copper.
[snapback]279515[/snapback]​

I guess that's why the old furniture type humidors were copper lined.

MarkF150 said:
Shiba said:
[snapback]275692[/snapback]​

I disagree. Smoking mold on a cigar could be very hazardous to your health. Fortunately this type of mold is rare. If you can wipe it off I wouldn't worry about it, if you can I would just chalk that stick up to a loss.

Also I have found that if you put a few pieces of copper (i.e. pennies) in your coolerdor you won't have any problems with mold. Foe some reason mold hates copper.
[snapback]279515[/snapback]​
I have never heard about that..... thanks for the info..... gonna have to Google this to find more info.....

That is interesting...never seen that about pennies. I'm courious if anyone else has heard of that.

Lopaka said:
That is interesting...never seen that about pennies. I'm courious if anyone else has heard of that.
[snapback]279541[/snapback]​

I have used it in my coolerdor and humidor since I have had that and I have never had a problem with mold.