• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold

Big Stick

Yes Thats right mold
I cant believe it but I opened a Avo( the one with leather on it) That I store all my custom rolled in
Low a be hold there was mold.
I quickly seperated the ones with mold and with out
gonna smoke the ones I wiped of and zip lock the ones with out mold and put them back in the winodor
Threw away the box and checked all the other boxes in the winodor to make sure there wasnt any more
mold . Every thing was OK

What do you think caused this?

TIA

Excessive humidity? Was your box-o-mold the closest to your source of humidity? Did you drool on the cigars, and forget to wipe the spittle off?

Sometimes, in rare cases, a sealed box can arrive at your door filled with mouldy cigars at the fault of your supplier.

Other times, cheese. Watch out for cheese...

What do you think caused this?
Excess moisture. Either at your windor or they came like so from the vendor.

If it was at your winodor, maybe you want to put a fan to circulate air to even out the RH throughout and keep this from happening again. You can buy some dirt cheap at any online computer parts store.

Good luck.

I agree with the moisture posts above. Storing in a zip lock? They'd be better off in a cigar box or in a cheapy tray in the humi....

I agree with the moisture posts above. Storing in a zip lock? They'd be better off in a cigar box or in a cheapy tray in the humi....

Agreed. Airtight plastic with no give and take? A mold maternity ward.
If you want to quarantine those sticks either toss some cedar pieces or half-dried humidpak or use a box and put that in a large ziploc

After receiving a moldy cigar from an online vendor, I'm careful to check cigars as they arrive and spot check the ones in my humidors now and then. I buy the theory of high humidity, however, once you get mold in your humidor, it may be very hard to get rid of.

- Rick

I'd go with moisture as the cause....just sayin'!

Ok...I wonder if the leather case box didn't allow some breathing to occur...thus retaining moisture.

I'd go with moisture as the cause....just sayin'!

Ok...I wonder if the leather case box didn't allow some breathing to occur...thus retaining moisture.

I was thingking the same thing

Thanks for all the feed back guys :thumbs:

I got hit twice. First time, threw away a butt load of sticks. The second, made sure there wasn't any mold on the foot and just wiped them. I have been monitoring them for the last 2-3 months. No mold has come back, and the humidity is around 68-70%. Smoked a few of them, and no flavor change.
The sticks w/ mold on the foot I had to throw away- ouch. That was half the box. I still have them in the original box, but I wiped it w/ denatured alcohol and left it in the sun for day. I store them in a tupperware box, but the cigars are in their original boxes.