• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monte #4 (Feb 02) Review

gr8full2day

FNG in Training
The cigar was part of a gift from my sister, who recently Februrary, returned from Cuba. I have been sort of waiting for a decent occasion to smoke one of these. This was to be my very first time with an ISOM and I wanted it to be perfect. Also, I have been a little concerned with some of the life-altering effects of the ISOMs I have read on this and other boards. I decided my expectations were unrealistic and threw caution to the wind....The story begins with me on my back stoop on a gorgeous sunny evening around 7:15 pm EST. It was about 73 degrees and a slight breeze blowing almost perfect, but my chair was wet from morning rain so I was forced to stand. I also had a nice cup Kenyan coffee to compliment the cigar.......
The construction was very nice with a few veins, but what the hell do I know about that stuff....The cut, with a cheap-ass two-blade guilliotine cutter, was without incident and the pre-ligth draw was very nice. There was an unfamiliar earthy/leathery taste mixed with a rush of anticipation to fire that baby up! The light went well and I was engulfed with a mountain of beautiful grey smoke. There was a hint of woody-ness mixed with the leathery earth taste that was surprisingly appealing. As the first third began to melt way with a dark grey ash that refused to crack and fall, I noticed a blue jay dive-bombing my neighbors cats right in front of me, that was hilarious...but i digres...
The first half ended with a shift in the taste to a more pepper and spicey taste with only a hint of the leathery-wood remaining. The descriptions of these tastes always made me think it was not an appealing taste, but as usual I was dead wrong...There was a tremendous volume of smoke that never thought about being harsh, no matter how quickly I drew on that baby. The spicey flavor began to over power the other flavors by the last two inches or so. I was very much pleased with the smoke to this point. i wish I had taken it a little easier earlier in the smoke as my head was beginning to spin slightly. I noticed the 'buzz' as I was searching for something to hold the cigars as my fingers were charred. I finally decided enough and let the last inch and a half die a quit death by itself.
I thoroughly enjoyed me very first ISOM. I would rate this cigar itself around an 88. I rate the overall experience and the relaxation a 200. I shall surely have to try more ISOMs, but where does a guy start. I certainly would recommend this cigar to a newbie at ISOMs. It spun my head a little, but probably because I was too impatient with the last couple of inches. It was a medium bodied, full-flavored smoke IMHO. I shall try another real soon. Thanks for all you guys advice and generosity.

Russell

vader1.gif
Welcome to the dark side!

Excellent review brother and welcome - now there is no turning back :sign:

Actually there is, you will still enjoy domestics (I know I sure do) but that ISOM in your humi calls to you...

~~ smoke me, smoke me, oh please smoke me ~~ :sign:

Excellent review again brother!

Sam

My first isom was a Monte #4.....plugged tighter than a Clydesdale humping a shetland pony. Glad to hear your experience was better than mine. :thumbs: Now my fridgador's 95% isom.

Excellent review brother.... :thumbs:

Your hooked like the rest of us now. :p

If your lookin' to pick up a few more ISOMs, I know gibu is lookin' for another 1 0r 2 to finish up his box split.

Look under Cigar Trades/ Group Purchase section.

Thanks for the plug stogieman...... ooh..... bad word to use around cigar people, sorry. :D

Excellent review man. I could have heard more about the cat personally. Serves em right for messin with my allergies.

Glad to hear it was a good experience for you. Your a gonner for sure now. The first ISOM I had was a Cohiba Esplendidos. I had that sucker built up so high in my head no cigar ever made could have lived up to the billing. I was distincly disapointed, but then I always have been kind of a "glass half broke" kind of guy.

You've inspired me to go light up right now in fact.

I like them Montecristo's. Strange, but now that I've become hooked on the Cuban leaf, all other cigars do seem to be flat tasting and one dimensional. Next, maybe you could try something from H.Upmann, like the Magnum46 or the #2, or maybe something from Sancho Panza, Rafael Gonzalez(milder, but still very good!:)) or the Ramon Allones line.

I laugh everytime I see that avatar, wish I had thought of it first! (sorry for the jack, hope Kenny doesn't catch me)

Great review Russell! I just got a box of these little beauties and I'm waiting for them to mature a bit in my humi before I start firing them up. Just a couple months more and they should be ready. Oh the torture!